New York mini chickenstock 2016

Is it ok to start collecting hatching eggs for chickenstock yet?   I'm still new enough to the hatching egg part of chicken keeping - to not be sure - I thought I heard 3 weeks was still fine if you turn them each day and keep them cool ??

I think I heard anything after 7 days and the percentage of what will hatch goes down.

I wouldn't want eggs older than 7 days. I like to let them sit still after traveling for 24 hrs so that would make them 8 days.

How much for AC chicks? How are your adults? any white?

I just found out tthat the guy I've been holding my 10 month old 3 pairs of cream legbars for just decided that he doesn't have the money to buy them so I have 3 pair of cream legbars for sale. one of the pairs has a white sport roo. $50 per pair

I wouldn't want eggs older than 7 days.  I like to let them sit still after traveling for 24 hrs so that would make them 8 days. 

How much for AC chicks?  How are your adults?  any white? 

I just found out tthat the guy I've been holding my 10 month old 3 pairs of cream legbars for just decided that he doesn't have the money to buy them so I have 3 pair of cream legbars for sale.  one of the pairs has a white sport roo.  $50 per pair

The price depends on the quality. I was selling some with defects last year for $10 each as yard candy. Better ones would be $50 or $100 per chick.

No white, color leakage, etc. on my birds. Here are some of the parents:

A keeper pullet from last year that is a breeder now:

Some of last year's chicks:

I just put new cockerels in the breeding pen and don't have any good pictures of them but can get some.

Sorry all for the picture spam :p

Ok - good to know about the timing of the gathering of the hatching eggs. :)

My second hatch - only day 3 in and I haven't candled yet - like before - the humidity is holding nicely from 30 to 40% ... We bought a new fan and DJ put it in - it is running fine - but the temp just won't hold steady - not spiking or dropping too much - but it will go as low as 97 degrees for some reason - and then I can get it to hold at 100 for a long time and then a dip :(

Crossing my fingers so I will have lots of AB chicks to bring to chickenstock. :)

Hi all, I have been out of it for some time due to health issues, but am catching up om the thread and still plan to try and make it, mainly to talk chickens and catch up with how BOB the blue Orp is doing.
Does anyone have bantam Wyandottes in this list? I got a great little hen from the same gal I bought BOB from at Ithaca TSC swap last Oct. and would like to get my banty a friend or two of the same breed & size. Color is unimportant and they need to be pullets -I'm a townie in Binghamton, so no roos please.
Thanks.

Hi all, I have been out of it for some time due to health issues, but am catching up om the thread and still plan to try and make it, mainly to talk chickens and catch up with how BOB the blue Orp is doing. Does anyone have bantam Wyandottes in this list? I got a great little hen from the same gal I bought BOB from at Ithaca TSC swap last Oct. and would like to get my banty a friend or two of the same breed & size. Color is unimportant and they need to be pullets -I'm a townie in Binghamton, so no roos please. Thanks.
Bob is doing fantastic. He is a daddy and is very protective of all 18 of his wives. He loves being a country boy.

Hi there, PYXIS got any "pet quality" Ayam Cemani pullets for the Chickenstock? I love the idea of the yard candy 'crowchickens'... and for less than a grand each? That would be awesome!

Last edited:
Metella,
What are AB chicks?
I have 2 still air that I added fans to. I keep these for hatching since they aren't digital and I don't want all of that moisture in my good electronic digital controls of my incubators. I have 2 genesis with turners that I absolutely love. they have thermostats instead of just thermometers so they regulate the temp by themselves. it's sort of a set it and forget it way of incubating except for candling or if you want to add water.
the last 2 are used brinsea 20s. I have a cradle but I actually prefer to just rock them over on their sides whenever I walk by. they also have thermostats and hold temp very well.
I try and plan my hatches so lockdown and hatching are over a weekend because they will be in the still air units. I worry the whole time because they just don't hold well. I actually get up in the middle of the night to check as well. it's very frustrating and nerve wracking until everyone is hatched.
anytime you want to chat about incubating, i'm willing to chat! I am addicted to it. I've really done a lot of research and learned from mistakes. I now get 85-100% hatches. I have shipped eggs so that will bring it down! I have midget white turkey and Sebastopol goose eggs that were shipped. they are 1/2 way done. eek!
take care,
Teresa

Back
Top Bottom