New York mini chickenstock 2016

Sorry it took me so long but it was great meeting everyone. Thanks to those who bought something from me and who I bought from. Thanks chicken girl for hosting such a wonderful event. My boys are still talking about a play date :lol: They are very happy that duckie has a great home.

Sorry it took me so long but it was great meeting everyone. Thanks to those who bought something from me and who I bought from. Thanks chicken girl for hosting such a wonderful event. My boys are still talking about a play date :lol: They are very happy that duckie has a great home.
Duckie has 6 chicks and a Dutch bunny living with him/her right now. Soon the teens will be moving in with the old hens and Duckie will move in with MOJO, Girlie and their 3 bunnies. Duckie Mallard (yes I love NCIS) Will then be a permanent resident of the growing out coop along with curly footed MOJO and blind Girlie along with the 3 bunnies. They will retire to the old folks coop in a year or so once I've designed it and built it.

Do ducks roost or nest?

Duckie has 6 chicks and a Dutch bunny living with him/her right now. Soon the teens will be moving in with the old hens and Duckie will move in with MOJO, Girlie and their 3 bunnies. Duckie Mallard (yes I love NCIS) Will then be a permanent resident of the growing out coop along with curly footed MOJO and blind Girlie along with the 3 bunnies. They will retire to the old folks coop in a year or so once I've designed it and built it.

Do ducks roost or nest?

They sleep on the ground :)

I'd get him a female if you plan to keep him with hens, especially special needs hens. When the hormones hit him he'll try to mate with them if he doesn't have any duck females to mate with, and due to anatomical differences this can be fatal for the hens.

They sleep on the ground :)

I'd get him a female if you plan to keep him with hens, especially special needs hens. When the hormones hit him he'll try to mate with them if he doesn't have any duck females to mate with, and due to anatomical differences this can be fatal for the hens.
much to Jon's disapproval Duckie will have 2 wife's by summers end. I will put a bush in the run for them to nest under, hay and straw as bedding in the nest?

much to Jon's disapproval Duckie will have 2 wife's by summers end. I will put a bush in the run for them to nest under, hay and straw as bedding in the nest?

Sounds like he's going to be happy :) My ducks sleep in the coop with the chickens, but I have a new coop in progress for just my welshies and I'll be using hay as the bedding in that one.

Sounds like he's going to be happy :) My ducks sleep in the coop with the chickens, but I have a new coop in progress for just my welshies and I'll be using hay as the bedding in that one.
Duckie and his wife's (when I get them) will have their own "coop" in the growing out pen as long as is safe.

The Guinea eggs are another story. They have a coop all their own about 3 acres out. They will have a run ,fully enclosed before they go. They roost as high as they can get right?

Last edited:
About how old are those bunnies? They look old enough to tell their gender, I think. Maybe you could check and separate them before too much damage is done. I had ended up with twelve bunnies before I had the sense to take Flopsy to the vet. Then I had to do the same for Ash and Crybaby when I couldn't get rid of them. Now, after giving away a couple, and a raccoon killing poor Flopsy and Benjamin, I am left with five. Three females and two altered males.

Of course, I did get the 'death stare' when I explained the hatching eggs.......
tongue.png
, still, I didn't have to spend the night with the chickens so all is good.
The Death Stare ...LOL..I got that all day today
I brought home 5 chickens ...
Yesterday I showed him the 2 littles ..he was fine with them ..

.then he went down cellar and found 3 - more larger chickens
I decided to take the Gulls

..He was Madder than a wet Hen all day after that ...
He says to me when were you going to tell me about the ones in the cellar ?

I said to him I told you yesterday ...if they are all hens I will probably keep them but if there is a Rooster..
I will probably sell them as a matched set ..
He says Ohhh I thought you were talking about the little ones
And i ended up with lots of eggs too...he said nothing about them ..

I put the 2 little under TiTi this eve ..she let them go under her ...
We will see in the morning if she accepts them ...
the cage is covered with a dark sheet so I can be there when she sees them
I think I have another Broody - just in time as I got lots of eggs

Back
Top Bottom