Newbee seeking tips on Roll away Nesting Boxes

kitc4t

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2018
Hello everyone,
This is my first post but not the first question I have. My sweetheart, JJ, has set his heart on us having our own homegrown eggs! I am worried at the work this may entail as I have absolutely no experience. In the last few months, I have been surfing the web to learn whatever I can; in order for us to started right;and have happy and healthy chicken!
The chicken coop is not built yet; we plan to have 3 chicken, and I have heard on YouTube about the advantages of "roll away nesting boxes" and how this helps keep the eggs clean and out from underfoot for the birds. The sites I have found are all from people who have oodles of chicken (
, and https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=EBFnOy-q63c for example) there are many others. What has been your experience?

I am currently building my coop as well but this is the route I plan on going. I’ve heard nothing but great reviews. I won’t have oodles of chickens I will only need three nesting boxes.. go to search and type in roll away nesting box and you will find more info. Some have even did a community box. I’ll try to find a link.

Roll away nests are a great idea. I wish I had thought of them when I was doing my coop, but there is always the next coop! @jthornton has built them, his build thread is the second one that DoeAndGander linked to.

Good luck, and remember, always build a bigger coop than you think you’ll need. Chicken math is real, and you won’t have 3 for long. I had planned on 4-6 chickens, I have 4 now and 6 babies coming next week.

Back
Top Bottom