newbie breed question - friendly in hot weather

CajunChooks

Chirping
Apr 23, 2020
Howdy everyone, brand new member here... and soon to be new to raising chickens.

So, I am just getting started on everything, have been doing my reading and nerding out on coop plans, but can't quite figure out the ideal breed for my situation.

So, we want a good egg layer but also something very docile and easy to manage - we have a 13 month old and figured that he would appreciate them as pets soon enough. So based on those two factors, from what I read, something like a buff orpington would be good?

All that said, I was wondering about temperature tolerance - I live in New Orleans, so it is hot and humid for a good chunk of the year, and freezes are rare. Whenever I read things about breeds online, they always talk about cold tolerance, but not much about heat tolerance - is this a big issue?

In any case, that's my question: what's a good breed that lays lots of eggs, is as docile as possible, but will do OK in louisiana weather?

BONUS QUESTION: I am planning on getting 3 hens for now - should I consider maybe getting different breeds together?
also, because there was some convincing of my neighbor to go along with this - are there big differences in how much noise different breeds make?

Ok, sorry, that was several questions. Thanks everyone!

Good question! And welcome by the way! Orpingtons are a big, heavy, fluffy breed. I think your concerns are legitimate.

I think if you look at Heritage breeds (Buckeye, Dominique etc.), you'll find what you're looking for. Even maybe Welsummer. My Welsummer girls were so good and well-behaved.

My Orps aren't big fans of summer. I'm sure some people have figured out a way to manage them comfortably in hotter climes. There should be a Forum thread on here about people from like States (Louisiana)--maybe you could check that out!

And yes, I think you should get three different breeds to see which suits you best!

Good luck to you!

Thanks Peaches! I will investigate these ... I am having trouble even finding places to get chicks from online sellers, they are all sold out until July for the most part. Trying to find some local farms now

I think if you look at Heritage breeds (Buckeye, Dominique etc.), you'll find what you're looking for.

So I found a local farm and it turns out they have a flock of Dominiques! So that probably means they do well for our area... Just reached out to them to see if they will part with a few

Thanks Peaches! I will investigate these ... I am having trouble even finding places to get chicks from online sellers, they are all sold out until July for the most part. Trying to find some local farms now

Not sure, because I've never ordered chicks, but come July, they may even have restrictions due to the weather (it being summer time).

Perhaps this local to you person would hatch some for you and you could pick some up that way! :thumbsup

I don't know if I would get Orpingtons. I've lost a few to heat in the past, and I'm in Colorado. :idunno
Barred Rocks or Speckled Sussex do well in the heat. Or you could go with lighter breeds, like Leghorns, Anconas, or Whitings. Cream Legbars would probably be good too. There are actually lots of breeds who are heat tolerant. Good luck picking only three. 😁

Back
Top Bottom