Nifty's Feral Kitty Adventure

Pics
Ugh, cats.

I'm realizing part of the reason why I'm historically a dog person, but also been reducing pets and related work / messes.

We found a HUGE NASTY gooey hairball pile this morning.

All growing up I heard stories of "hairballs" and just assumed that's what they were... mostly dry balls of hair.

... turns out that's not the case... basically just all the junk in her gut coming out :sick

Makes me want to kick invite the kitty outside permanently.

The GF says the solution is to do more "kitty scratches" to remove excess hair. Basically, I've learned that while we're outside, the kitty LOVES it when I go behind her, and pet / scratch her VIGEROUSLY from head to tail in SUPER rapid succession. She meows and meows, and literally CLOUDS of hair are spewed into the air. ALL OVER!!!

The first few times I did it, I wasn't sure if KMM liked it or not. Well, that changed when the second I stopped, she'd chase after me, meowing loud, and then even start nipping and pawing at my calf to get me to come back and give her more scratches.

I have a mixed love/annoyed relationship with the kitty meow meow.
You can get a cat comb with metal teeth that really gets at the under-coat. Masses of hair comes out and the cat LOVES being combed and will go completely nuts purring and rolling over and so on. As your cat goes outside I strongly recommend doing this outdoors because it is hard to over state how much hair gets released with this combing. I put it on the compost heap and I see wild birds help themselves to it presumably to make their nests nice and cozy.

One of my cats swallows rodents whole. Other cats of mine have eaten only little pieces. So I'd find the intestines and a tail. Usually only in one spot, but cats are individuals so yours might stash a liver here and an ear there.

I found it depends on the individual cat. Current barn cats I have right now eat the whole rodent.
The outdoor cats I had growing up would eat everything except the heart and a couple other internal organs.
I had one who ate the whole thing, don't know how he ate it because there were no remains. I have one now who I think eats the whole thing because I never see parts. I did find a squirrel's tail once. Guess that was too furry for him. 🤷‍♀️

I also had one years ago who brought me a mouse LIVE. "HEY you're supposed to kill the mice you bring me, not bring live mice into the house! What are you doing?!!!" Luckily, the mouse ran out the back door when he let it go and one of my efficient mousers went after it. Good thing he was such a sweetheart, if it had been his job, he would have been fired. 😂 Glad your cat actually does what she's supposed to do.

Ugh, cats.

I'm realizing part of the reason why I'm historically a dog person, but also been reducing pets and related work / messes.

We found a HUGE NASTY gooey hairball pile this morning.

All growing up I heard stories of "hairballs" and just assumed that's what they were... mostly dry balls of hair.

... turns out that's not the case... basically just all the junk in her gut coming out :sick

Makes me want to kick invite the kitty outside permanently.
Yeah those are nasty. Long-haired cats create them more often than shorthairs.

The GF says the solution is to do more "kitty scratches" to remove excess hair. Basically, I've learned that while we're outside, the kitty LOVES it when I go behind her, and pet / scratch her VIGEROUSLY from head to tail in SUPER rapid succession. She meows and meows, and literally CLOUDS of hair are spewed into the air. ALL OVER!!!
Good advice! Mine hated the brush so... didn't work out too well. 😂

The first few times I did it, I wasn't sure if KMM liked it or not. Well, that changed when the second I stopped, she'd chase after me, meowing loud, and then even start nipping and pawing at my calf to get me to come back and give her more scratches.

I have a mixed love/annoyed relationship with the kitty meow meow.
Glad your girl likes it. 😊

Is there a specific model that you found works really well?
I have several. Not just because I have several cats but because I keep misplacing them and buying new ones!
The one I like best is called Furminator. Amazon link below. And I am serious about the amount of fur - I had a session with one of my cats recently and I created a whole new cat's worth of fur!
By the way, adding a spoonful of pumpkin (canned is fine and easy) to their food helps too because with the fiber they are more likely to pass the fur rather than regurgitate it.
I may be a novice at chickens but I am a very old hand at cats - I think I have had multiple cats for over 50 years!
https://smile.amazon.com/Furminator...=1654645938&sprefix=furminator,aps,68&sr=8-13

Back
Top Bottom