Nigerian Dwarf Goat...suitable for urban backyard?

Get at least 2, if you only get one it will be lonely.

Talk to your neighbors about it, goats can be very loud.

If you decide to get them, BUY ADEQUATE FENCING!!!! They are escape artists! My neighbor had goats for awhile, and she thought they could be fenced in with chicken wire.
roll.png

You'll need electric fencing or heavy duty cattle panels. Your neighbors are not going to be pleased if your goats jump the fence and run into their yard.

Thanks a lot for all your advice. I've gathered that I would need at least two goats, not one, so she wouldn't be lonely. I've gathered that there are some goats that are on the quieter side and one can often tell by age 3-4 months. My sense then is that, should I decide to have goats, I should visit a breeder and see if they sell goats in that age range and ask for goats that they have observed as being on the quieter side.
I should also visit all my neighbors first and tell them what I'm planning.
I have a wood fence completely encircling my urban property...which is relatively small, 4000 sq ft or 1/10th of an acre, most of the fence is 6 ft high, some is 4.5 ft high. I believe this would be adequate but if I had goats I would also need to build a pen for them, because if allowed to roam free on the whole yard, they'd no doubt eat my whole vegetable garden and other plants.

Back
Top Bottom