Non-Broody Breeds

I have a hatchery stock Appenzeller Spitzhauben who went broody yesterday lol not sure what those odds are but it's definitely rare. Time will tell whether she is serious or not.

I have a hatchery stock Appenzeller Spitzhauben who went broody yesterday lol not sure what those odds are but it's definitely rare. Time will tell whether she is serious or not.

Yeah. Someone had a Leghorn go broody, and they're notoriously non-broody. There's at least a low percentage of any given breed that will go broody; they are birds and all.

I may have mentioned this on this thread before but I had a black Leghorn go broody many times and raised 1 or 2 clutches for me each year.

Update: She is very serious! Haha she is on 7 turkey eggs and I even moved her nest

My blue/red laced wyandotte has gone broody twice in her first year, not happy about that. My Ameraucana and Rhode Island red, black sex link never. Also my Barnevelder is occasionally broody but not enough to be a bother.

Thanks!!!
I was trying to be conservative originally, the only sources I had were hatchery websites and they conflict on some breeds, so I was being careful.
Thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge.

Same here.
hu.gif

=)
Would 30% be considered non-broody?
I think I have a Leghorn who occasionally pretends that she's practicing; she'll spend like 3 hours in the nest for a few days in a row, then she goes back to taking only about 30 min to lay.
th.gif
If she every went broody, then I'd know that I'm the one who has the only broody Leghorn in the county. lol

Thank you so much for sharing your experience!!!

I guess I am the exception to the rule, as usual. I , now have a Sicilian Buttercup and and Ancona who are broody. Just got them out of the separate pen with cement floor,
(usually works for me, as it is cold) after 3 days. So will see where I am at. I think it is contageous, had a broody Moran and Fav last week.!! Don't they know winter is coming, cold and rainy here in the PNW.

Back
Top Bottom