North Carolina

Thanks BHEP. Wonder what I would do with 30 quail eggs. Guess it would be a good way to practice? Please come back and let us know what they have at the WCA. It will be a few more weeks but I kinda like to hear what kind of chickies they have. Do they every have salmon favorelle? Just started looking into those. Oh and some EE's or americauunas. And of course my favorite silkies and my sons Polish.

My local feed store will have EE's on Wedneday. Well they say Americauna, but I know better. I want to go sooooo badly just to pick up two, so I can train myself for the arrival of the 26. Then I would have month old chicks and 3 day old chicks, so not sure if i should do a big age difference in that.

Anyway have a great time at WCA... dont forget to take notes on all the goodies.

Rain ...Hail... Wind.... YUK!
Coops are back in place...birds back in and fresh pine needle put down...so they have some dry land.
gig.gif

Cute pics Hollow. Incubator tip....clean and disinfect the incubator between each hatch... it could be the reason for lots quitting. Of course there are MANY reason.
hu.gif

3chickens... I got the 1588 on MANY recommendations. I am honestly not even sure of the difference.

NH... cute kitty. DD will love her to smithereens.
love.gif

Heading out to pack up birds....heading to WCA.
frow.gif

Okay I need a little help with buying an incubator. I have done some reading, still dont understand everything, but I am pretty sure I need a circulated air one with a turner. I need something that I do not have to do a lot with since I do not know excatly how to do it. Really it is not for me, but my soon to be six year old. He has asked for one for his birthday at the end of May. I think this is sooo much better than another toy that will get lost in the closest and will be a great education tool. I am 41 and never have experienced the birth of anything, except for my son...lol. So my question is where and which one is the best to get for what I am looking for... mainly one that is self efficient since I and my son would be a novice.

Oh I forgot to mention I did look at 2 of my local feed stores and one has the still air and the other has both still and circulated and they both self the turner. Price wise the circulated with egg turner will be about $153.00

www.brinsea.com It will be the best decision you ever made!! The brinsea octa 20 is the perfect size for bantam and large fowl eggs. I like brinsea as it's plastic and not styro so easy to clean without destroying it. Brinsea also offers a two year warranty! BEST decision I made was buying a Brinsea...
thumbsup.gif

RAIN RAIN GO AWAY....8 INCHES INTHE LAST 2 DAYS AND 4 MORE EXPECTED TODAY
he.gif
I WILL GET PHOTOS OF OUR CREEK TO SHOW YOU HOW MUCH WE HAVE GOTTEN POSTED LATER...WELL TODAY IS CANDLING DAY...WISH ME LUCK AS THIS IS THE NEW INCUBATOR AND I AM VERY NERVOUS...

Good Morning everyone!!!

We almost have the new coop built
ya.gif
It's nothing fancy but it will work good for the ducks!! We have a friend who is going to give us a incubator to use, hopefully we can hatch out some little ducks
jumpy.gif
The only thing is that the incubator is a little giant
barnie.gif
Had a horrible time last year using a little giant but hopefully it will go better this year
fl.gif
Are there any tips anyone can give my on hatching duck eggs??? I have hatched chicken eggs before but never ducks!! I was the one who was allergic to the ducks last year. We had little Khaki campbell ducklings which I was very allergic to. But after going to my friends houses who have ducks I realized I am fine with other breeds of ducks. I have no clue why but I can be around every duck except Khaki Campbells
hmm.png
We are going tomorrow to get three little Lavender Orpington chicks
love.gif
Which I can't wait for!!!!!

I hope everyone has a great time at WCA!!!!

RAIN RAIN GO AWAY....8 INCHES INTHE LAST 2 DAYS AND 4 MORE EXPECTED TODAY
he.gif
I WILL GET PHOTOS OF OUR CREEK TO SHOW YOU HOW MUCH WE HAVE GOTTEN POSTED LATER...WELL TODAY IS CANDLING DAY...WISH ME LUCK AS THIS IS THE NEW INCUBATOR AND I AM VERY NERVOUS...
I was wondering the size of your incubator, and where the thermostat/thermostat probe and heat source is located? I am wanting to build a 4'x2' cabinet style.

Thanks. I will go check it out . Is it one where I really wont have to do a lot with it regarding turning, setting and resetting temps and humitity?

www.brinsea.com It will be the best decision you ever made!! The brinsea octa 20 is the perfect size for bantam and large fowl eggs. I like brinsea as it's plastic and not styro so easy to clean without destroying it. Brinsea also offers a two year warranty! BEST decision I made was buying a Brinsea...
thumbsup.gif

Thanks. I will go check it out . Is it one where I really wont have to do a lot with it regarding turning, setting and resetting temps and humitity?

I pretty much set and forget my Brinsea. I found that you don't need all that fancy stuff when you have a good quality incubator. Brinsea's are made of plastic so the pieces fit snug together (less air escape) so better heat/humidity control. I did not go digital and just used the mercury thermometer that came with it and it does what it's suppose to. The only thing I bought separate hygrometer (off ebay) and we use it manually over the vent hole from time to time just to check it. You can buy a "cradle" for the brinsea incubator and it does all the work for you as far as turning, when day 18 comes you just turn the cradle off, take out the partitions and wait for babies to hatch!!
big_smile.png

I personally prefer the Brinsea because it plastic so it does come clean with out damage. I really like the shape and size, fits great in any space. Like how eggs stack in the rows instead of turner cups. JMO.
wink.png

Thought I would share a couple of pics of my young Gold Cuckoo Marans group. They got a new pen to themselves yesterday away from the juvi pen. All these colors came from my gold cuckoo group, still blows my mind what pops up! A few of the girls have already started to lay much earlier than their moms too. I just hope their eggs are as dark as their moms, need them for the fair!
big_smile.png

I am probably going to list our eggs for sale on CL this week.
I noticed yesterday while reseraching prices that most of the local CL ads have farm fresh eggs selling for $2/dozen. I had planned to sell at $1.50/dozen and $2.00/dozen if we have to deliver. Should I up my price to $2/dozen and perhaps keep the $1.50 price for friends and family only? Also is the egg selling something that will have to be listed on taxes next year? Or is it one of those things that only has to be listed if you earn over a certain amount of money in the year?

Very pretty HT!

Thought I would share a couple of pics of my young Gold Cuckoo Marans group. They got a new pen to themselves yesterday away from the juvi pen. All these colors came from my gold cuckoo group, still blows my mind what pops up! A few of the girls have already started to lay much earlier than their moms too. I just hope their eggs are as dark as their moms, need them for the fair!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom