North Dakota

Hey everyone, quick question for you that do your own hatches.

What do you keep your humidity at for both incubation and lockdown?

I haven't had the greatest success so far following the usual guidelines of 45% humidity and 60-65% lockdown; fully developed chicks still in their shells mostly.

My last hatch though, I didn't mess around with the humidity and it was my best one.

It was a batch of abandoned turkey eggs, that I didn't really put much stock in. I candled them and seen they were maybe in that 2 week range but I had no way of being sure. So I just put into my brinsea and left it set at 30%.

A few weeks later, I woke up to a bator full of babies, all but a couple had hatched...without increasing the humidity to "lockdown" %'s. Not sure if this was a fluke deal or what.

So just curious what other peoples methods are here in ND. Maybe I've been drowning my chicks this whole time?

Hello! I need reassurance. First chicks. 4 weeks old. Fully feathered and I’m TIRED of having all 11 in my bathroom. They’ve been without heat in the house other than the heat lamp from the 5 younger chicks nearby lamp for 3 days. Insulated coop with Brinsea eco glow. They played hard when we put them in the coop today. Now they are all huggled under the heat plate and seem fine as it approaches dark. Low tonight 32. It’ll be ok, right?

Back
Top Bottom