North Idaho / Eastern Washington

Out of curiosity... What time do any of your roosters start crowing? My little guy seems to want to wake up a little too early. Still dark early...3:00 am early. Is this just normal, or do I have an early riser? The coop is not artificially lighted or anything.

Mine start at 4 on the dot most mornings.

The city ordinances don't say you can't have one. ​Usually in a flock without a roo, a hen will take up the duty of guarding the flock. And you might want to keep in mind that your neighbors might get annoyed with you if you did end up with one. Of course you could use a no-crow collar. If you really want one look on craigslist or PM me. I've got several sweet bantam roos I need to get rid of because there's too many of them.

My next-door neighbors have had roosters on and off. They have a bunch of little chicks running around right now so some of them will start growing. I would not take one of theirs, quite frankly they don't take good care of them and I would be very worried about disease. I know that there's always a risk adding a new chicken. If I do decide to get a rooster I will PM you. If I get one, how long do you suggest having it separated from the others? I've only integrated chicks not adults. And I have gotten all my checks from either the feed store or in the mail from a hatchery.

Out of curiosity... What time do any of your roosters start crowing? My little guy seems to want to wake up a little too early. Still dark early...3:00 am early. Is this just normal, or do I have an early riser? The coop is not artificially lighted or anything.
my dh has heard our roosters crowing at 5:30am and they crow all day, more so when we are over by their coop working on projects outside, or if i let the hens out they crow. and i have heard them crow after the sun sets, and its dark.
i have no idea about Walla Walla ordinance, sorry.

If I get one, how long do you suggest having it separated from the others? I've only integrated chicks not adults. And I have gotten all my checks from either the feed store or in the mail from a hatchery.
It's recommended that you quarantine new birds for about a month, so you can see if they have any diseases.
When you introduce an adult bird to a new flock, one of the best ways is to put them in a cage or run right next to your current birds for about a week. That way they'll get to know each other without injuring them. Once you release the new bird, there'll probably be a little fighting but less than if you just threw them in. Roos introduced to hens seems to have less fighting.

The one on craigslist is still available. It is a Bantam red Cochin. I think I may take the plunge. If it doesn't work out I know somebody who will take him and not eat him :)

I sat on pallets in the chicken coop with hubby yesterday. We feed the chicken bits of salami. (He doesn't normally spend time with the birds) I think he ended up with a favorite.

does anyone know what kind she is. she is pretty little.

Here is a funny frizzle pic. She is always in molt.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom