North Idaho / Eastern Washington

We're doing good here. Have 2 Barnevelder youngin's that broke their leg!! One is obvious break, hanging loose, had to splint and wrap it. Other one I can't feel a break, but is having issues supporting itself. Almost like a dislocated hip. Don't know what to do with them, we want to give them every chance to heal and get better, but at what point do you just give up? So hard to decide.

So, some good news, the chick with the broken leg is fairly well healed. I don't think I splint it perfectly because now her leg looks a little odd, but after a week or so she was able to start getting up on it. We took her wrap off this weekend, and she's walking around quite normally now! I think I'm going to give her another week before trying to put her back out to the coop.

So, some good news, the chick with the broken leg is fairly well healed. I don't think I splint it perfectly because now her leg looks a little odd, but after a week or so she was able to start getting up on it. We took her wrap off this weekend, and she's walking around quite normally now! I think I'm going to give her another week before trying to put her back out to the coop.

Yay!

Hello, is there anybody from Walla Walla out there? Do you know if we can have roosters in the city limits? Last year animal control said that we could but that she was trying to get the law changed. I can't find any updated information.
The reason I'm asking is my neighbor just informed me that there has been a young hawk, not yet full grown, lurking in my backyard and looking at the chickens. They free range in my yard during the day. So I was thinking about maybe getting a bantam rooster to voice an alarm. I really don't want to lock them up in their run all the time.

Out of curiosity... What time do any of your roosters start crowing? My little guy seems to want to wake up a little too early. Still dark early...3:00 am early. Is this just normal, or do I have an early riser? The coop is not artificially lighted or anything.

My neighbor had several roosters for a while. I heard one of them crowing at 1:30 in the morning. I think he was the first to become chicken soup :)

Hello, is there anybody from Walla Walla out there? Do you know if we can have roosters in the city limits? Last year animal control said that we could but that she was trying to get the law changed. I can't find any updated information.
The reason I'm asking is my neighbor just informed me that there has been a young hawk, not yet full grown, lurking in my backyard and looking at the chickens. They free range in my yard during the day. So I was thinking about maybe getting a bantam rooster to voice an alarm. I really don't want to lock them up in their run all the time.
The city ordinances don't say you can't have one. Usually in a flock without a roo, a hen will take up the duty of guarding the flock. And you might want to keep in mind that your neighbors might get annoyed with you if you did end up with one. Of course you could use a no-crow collar. If you really want one look on craigslist or PM me. I've got several sweet bantam roos I need to get rid of because there's too many of them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom