North Idaho / Eastern Washington

@Saris breeding Q: I have 2 LO pullets and 2 cockrels, they are sibs, from the same hatch. they may have different hens, but 100% they all have the same sire/rooster. how should i breed them? should i get more hens from a different line? should i use both roosters? or just one? thanks for any help.

@Saris breeding Q: I have 2 LO pullets and 2 cockrels, they are sibs, from the same hatch. they may have different hens, but 100% they all have the same sire/rooster. how should i breed them? should i get more hens from a different line? should i use both roosters? or just one? thanks for any help.

I would get black girls to put under the lavender cockerels and a black cockerel to put over your lavender girls. All babies will be black split to lavender, but you will have a lot more diversity and the blacks will help keep the feather quality good.

I would get black girls to put under the lavender cockerels and a black cockerel to put over your lavender girls. All babies will be black split to lavender, but you will have a lot more diversity and the blacks will help keep the feather quality good.

what does "black split to lavender" mean? will the chicks have black feathers? or lavender?
i want to breed as dual purpose and i dont want to pluck birds w/black feathers.
could i use buff o's instead? would that work just as well?
thanks

what does "black split to lavender" mean? will the chicks have black feathers? or lavender?
i want to breed as dual purpose and i dont want to pluck birds w/black feathers.
could i use buff o's instead? would that work just as well?
thanks

It means the birds would be black but carry one copy of the lavender gene. A bird needs two copies to be lavender.

Lavender to buff would still get you black birds with one copy of the lavender gene, they would have red and buff leakage coming through though and you wouldn't want to continue breeding them because the colors would be messed up down the line.

You could breed half/full siblings together but your gene pool is too small to do it for multiple generations. Most of the time when that happens the offspring of the half siblings are bred back to an unrelated bird or to a grandparent.

If you just don't want black feathers then you'll need to source more lavender birds, since it's recessive and need two copies breeding to anything other than lavender will net you off colored birds, usually black feathers since lavenders are built off of black.

@Saris i do want to continue the LO breed. when you say "get black girls and black cockerls to put under" what kind of black chicken? and then what do i do after they breed? would i breed the offspring back to parents? and w/t black offspring and the LO parents breeding what would i get w/them? would i get LO and they would have the 2 copies of LO? is this why you say to do this?
thanks

@Saris i do want to continue the LO breed. when you say "get black girls and black cockerls to put under" what kind of black chicken? and then what do i do after they breed? would i breed the offspring back to parents? and w/t black offspring and the LO parents breeding what would i get w/them? would i get LO and they would have the 2 copies of LO? is this why you say to do this?
thanks
If what you have are lavender orpingtons the you'll want black orpingtons to mate them with. Once you get chicks from the lavender to black pairing you would take the chicks and put them with a lavender pairing or you could put the with each other.

Here is a picture that I hope helps.

@Saris

what is a Split? what does it look like?
when you say black, do you mean an Essex O, a Black O?
do you know where i can get any?
can i just get more LO and breed them? and get more LO? they would have to have the 2 LO genes, however. and you dont really know if they have the 2 until you see the offspring, right?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom