Northeast Poultry Congress 2013

Finally have time to post....it was an exhausting weekend, added to it that we moved rooms in the motel 4 times! Don't ever stay at the Days Inn on Riverside Ave....and their "continental" breakfast was riidiculous.....

Good to know, as we were not thrilled with the Red Roof this time, even though this was our third time there, and the price is so good.

Good to know, as we were not thrilled with the Red Roof this time, even though this was our third time there, and the price is so good.
We stayed at the econolodge in westfield. It was pretty good. Nice price for the two of us, $75 total(with tax) and a continental breakfast in the lodge. It was a small breakfast choice but it was free and they had coffee
caf.gif
also snuck our new little one in the room
lol.png
dogs also welcome but we left ours at home.

WOW!!!

I've been lurking around BYC for a while as I prepare to get my coop up this year, and found out about the Congress two weeks prior because of this thread! I am so happy I went! Everyone was so NICE even though I looked like a total newb, doing the excited fist shake and squeaking over cute birds! I totally fell in love with the Modern Games! (Which was out of left field because I generally go right for the stocky birds)
It was a great learning experience. Fiance' finally understands the cost difference between "feed store" and "heritage", a concept that was loosely grasped before. A chicken is no longer "just a chicken" in his mind.

AND THE BANTAM DUCKS! I need those.

I so wish I could have a supermodel-legged MG hen.

T
he best part was in the sale aisle, where I began pushing to keep a roo, trying my best to cite enough positives to overturn his only turn-off (crowing) when he stopped short and went wide-eyed over Guinea Fowl.
"What about THOSE?!?!?!"

We hung out there while I went on about tick control and how they tear into bugs SO well! "This could be a GREAT idea! AND THEY HAVE THE COOLEST CALLS! Just wait and listen!"

I think I'll get my roo.
lau.gif

(no offense to Guinea keepers, I used to have a handful and thought they were the most amusing critters.)

WOW!!!

I've been lurking around BYC for a while as I prepare to get my coop up this year, and found out about the Congress two weeks prior because of this thread! I am so happy I went! Everyone was so NICE even though I looked like a total newb, doing the excited fist shake and squeaking over cute birds! I totally fell in love with the Modern Games! (Which was out of left field because I generally go right for the stocky birds)
It was a great learning experience. Fiance' finally understands the cost difference between "feed store" and "heritage", a concept that was loosely grasped before. A chicken is no longer "just a chicken" in his mind.

T
he best part was in the sale aisle, where I began pushing to keep a roo, trying my best to cite enough positives to overturn his only turn-off (crowing) when he stopped short and went wide-eyed over Guinea Fowl.
"What about THOSE?!?!?!"

We hung out there while I went on about tick control and how they tear into bugs SO well! "This could be a GREAT idea! AND THEY HAVE THE COOLEST CALLS! Just wait and listen!"

I think I'll get my roo.
lau.gif

(no offense to Guinea keepers, I used to have a handful and thought they were the most amusing critters.)
Are you in NY? Here is a thread that a few of us are on ---> https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/534036/southern-ny-dutchess-county-and-below/9810

WOW!!!

T
"What about THOSE?!?!?!"

I think I'll get my roo.
lau.gif

Don't you love it when you can finally convince the other half that chickens are not just chickens!? lol I'm not sure my boyfriend is quite there yet, but he does know I don't think of my chickens just as birds. And he does find them amusing.
lol.png

We live on a big non-profit and we have some guineas here. They are pretty funny, especially the noises they make.

littlecritters: I'm in Connecticut, I had it easy commuting up to the show.

Sanna: They are hilarious! I do miss having them around, but TOTALLY understand how some folks are turned off by the ruckus (as the fiance was; my plan worked perfectly!)

I could not make the NEPC this year but already am making plans to go to the show next winter. I loved the building and they could put thousands more bird in there before having to stack cages. Sale birds really sell there. I loved the museums and BBQ place in downtown. Better BBQ at Theodore's than I expected to find in the NE.

Back
Top Bottom