Norwegian Jaerhon

Pics
I think it's a roo also. I had a couple of chicks that looked like the one in the pic - and they were both roos. The pullets are brown with a VERY distinct single white dot on the head...At least for the light variety.

Love this breed....
love.gif
Why must there be so many breeds that Ms. Aspen likes?
he.gif
barnie.gif

~Aspen

I will take a picture of "it" tomorrow. It looks like a miniature chicken-everything developed but teeny tiny. I thought roo also because of the humongous comb but it is all beige barred? Maybe they get the rooster coloring later? He is a keeper anyway just because he was the only one. It was a miracle he hatched at all. His surrogate mom is kind of sick of him but he is a bit of a mommas boy.

[URL]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/72682_img01151-20110928-2043.jpg[/URL][

Sorry it took me so long on the pictures, I took these a few weeks ago while they were on the roost, and since then the ones I thought were roosters grew HUGE combs and waddles. They have to be roo's. My roosters apparently have a lil more color on them than most I've seen. Almost like hens. But lighter

Does anyone have accurate estimation how many eggs the hens lay per year? Because I've found some conflicting information. Everywhere I have read they are labeled as prolific, but in my opinion prolific would be 300+ eggs per year. I have read that a jaerhon hen was reported to have laid 350+ in one years time, does anyone have a link to credible information?? Thanks in advance!

This forum has been very helpful to me. Thanks to Amy I now know that the four Jaerhon pullets I bought a few months ago are of the dark variety. The lady I bought them from in Johnson City, TN didn't know anything about them or have a rooster to go with them. She said she got them from a man in the area. They laid their first eggs about a month after I got them. The hens lay great. Each hen lays 5-7 eggs/week and the eggs are at least mediums. The hens are small and so friendly I think they would make the perfect urban and suburban chickens. They are quiet too. I live on a farm and I like all those attributes even though I have lots of space and no close neighbors. I am looking for a rooster to go with them if anyone has one available and lives within 2 hours of Murphy, NC, the corner of North Carolina that joins Tennessee and Georgia. I would love to have dark rooster so I could hatch some eggs in the spring.

Quote:
Definitely a roo in the middle of that picture. I hatched one out of Amyables eggs but it died
sad.png
so now I am back to 2 hens again. To me a roo with that barring is more desirable. If I ever get a roo, I really want to work towards a more uniform color in the males.

Roosterfry, I prefer to pick up but would shipping be a possibility? I haven't found any roosters any closer unless someone on this list knows of any.

Last edited:
Quote:
Because of difficulties shipping live animals I choose to only ship eggs. My chickens are perfectly disease and pest free, I pay close attention to having ZERO mites on my property and I have a regular worming regimen. I as well practice EXTREME bio-security (no visitors) I do not attend poultry shows or go to "chicken trades." I won't even approach other people's chickens if I plan on visiting my coop later that day (NPIP or NOT). Every bird on my property either came from a reputable hatchery or I received hatching eggs from a reputable breeder. I pamper all my chickens, in feeding sanitization, and protection from pests. So if you buy anything from me you will most likely have good luck. In other words if you need a rooster bad enough, and you make the drive, you will not become upset when you get here.

Back
Top Bottom