not laying

Helens 4 Hens

In the Brooder
Oct 27, 2016
Hi, I have a white leghorn that is 2 years old. She used to lay an egg everyday..she is my only white egg laying hen so I knew they were hers. We went on vacation in June for a month so I relocated all four hens to a friend who also has chickens, all the girls got along and mine kept laying eggs. We brought them home in July and all seemed fine except for Doris the chicken in question. She has not laid an egg since coming home. First I thought she needed to acclimate back to our yard etc, then she started to molt in August so I did not worry to much, she stopped molting about two months ago and still no egg. She eats, drinks, and poops normally and her stomach feels normal as well but she does not even seem to have the desire to sit in the nesting boxes until two days ago. Now all she seems to want to do is sit in a nest all day long and still no eggs and she is not sitting on anyone else's eggs so I don't think she is broody as there is nothing to hatch. Any thoughts would be appreciated. We live in Oregon so not that cold and we have a light so that they have extended daylight, organic fortified food, free range of a large yard all day long, none of this is new to her.

She could be close to laying again and is just testing out the nests.
Is she getting along with the flock... might be hiding?
She may be broody....yes, eggs not needed.
Is she roosting with the flock at night?

Back
Top Bottom