Not Sure if You've Got a Pullet or a Cockerel? Click here! thread 3

Pics
junebuggena makes it sound easy - while I am like "duh!"

Lol. Exactly how I feel... I don't have the genetic smarts... talk about genetics is like... well... trying to climb a mountain without climbing gear or knowing what I'm doing. That is the only example I could come up with :lol:

I love sexlinked genes. Makes life so much easier when you don't have to wait around for combs to start pinking up. I am not an expert yet, when it comes to genetics, but I have a pretty good grasp of the basics. Much of it still confuses and baffles me.
Good to know I'm not completely stupid! Haha!

Hey guys! New chicken owner and new to BYC. Trying to figure out if my 5 week old EE's are pullets or roos. I've got three pics of each:

Chick #1 (roo?)

Chick #2 (pullet?)

Chick #3 (roo?)

Chick #4 (pullet?)

Chick #5 (roo...) :( But he sure does take pretty pictures!

Chick #6 (pullet?) She's the runt of the group.

Thanks so much for your help guys! Gotta figure out how many of these I need to replace since we can't keep roosters.
#1, #3, and #5 are not Easter Eggers. They are Silver Laced Wyandottes, two of them do have an incorrect comb, though. #5 may be a cockerel, but it's not for sure yet.
The Easter Eggers look like pullets for now.

At 16 weeks, that's a pullet. She's just a few weeks from being ready to lay.

Thanks! Is it normal for her tail feathers to curve like that? None of our other Orpingtons have that. This is our first flock so lots of learning!

Thanks! Is it normal for her tail feathers to curve like that? None of our other Orpingtons have that. This is our first flock so lots of learning!
Juvenile tail feathers molt out several time before a bird will hit 6 month of age. These mini molts can make pullet feathers seem like rooster feathers, just before they fall out. If you look close, you can see that she's just got one or two left in, the rest have already fallen out and are being replaced.

I'm pretty new to the chicken world, and my chicken got broody and I found her some fertile eggs on Craigslist. We were lucky to have 3 chicks hatch, but not sure what the following chick could be. I would really appreciate your opinion. Thank you!

I'm pretty new to the chicken world, and my chicken got broody and I found her some fertile eggs on Craigslist. We were lucky to have 3 chicks hatch, but not sure what the following chick could be. I would really appreciate your opinion. Thank you!
Looks like a Cochin. Might be a cockerel if that comb is as red as it seems.

Last edited:
The fluffy cheeks on the Marans was the big clue.  And unless the photos are not showing the leg/skin coloring accurately, I'm guessing that's not an Orpington. You may want to check the bottoms of the feet to be sure. If they are as yellow as the pictures indicate, it's not an Orpington. If the skin is white, it is an Orpington.

You're right--i didn't even notice the fluffy cheeks until you pointed them out! Thank you!
I checked the bottom of her feet today and they are definitely yellow. Her legs are covered in silver, which are quite pretty. So what are my possible options for breed for this one?

You're right--i didn't even notice the fluffy cheeks until you pointed them out! Thank you!
I checked the bottom of her feet today and they are definitely yellow. Her legs are covered in silver, which are quite pretty. So what are my possible options for breed for this one?
Probably a mixed breed, since most of the other birds you purchased are also some sort of mix.

Okay, here are some current pictures. I'm pretty sure these 3 month old Black Copper Marans are cockerels, kept hoping they weren't, but I'm giving one away tomorrow to someone who needs a rooster so want to be absolutely sure. They have not crowed or shown any roosterish behavior like chest bumping. Please someone help!

Back
Top Bottom