Not Sure if You've Got a Pullet or a Cockerel? Click here! thread 3

Pics
Trying to determine gender on what I'm thinking is a cockerel, but I want to make sure. 5 week old EE, blue.

He was busy yesterday herding all the other chicks around!

When we bought this Blue Ameraucana, the seller said it was 2 weeks old. At that time, its comb was pretty small, mostly yellow with a little hint of pink at its highest point. The chick was all feathered except a head and had a pretty long tail already, so we hoped it would be a pullet.
The comb started to get pink and reddish very quickly. Now we are wondering if there is any chance it's a pullet. What do you think? I am pasting pictures at 6.5 weeks.
Also, do you think it's true Ameraucana and will its legs get uniform color?
Thank you very much!

Last edited:
When we bought this Blue Ameraucana, the seller said it was 2 weeks old. At that time, its comb was pretty small, mostly yellow with a little hint of pink at its highest point. The chick was all feathered except a head and had a pretty long tail already, so we hoped it would be a pullet.
The comb started to get pink and reddish very quickly. Now we are wondering if there is any chance it's a pullet. What do you think? I am pasting pictures at 6.5 weeks.
Also, do you think it's true Ameraucana and will its legs get uniform color?
Thank you very much!

It certainly looks like it could be an Ameraucana mix. The comb isn't quite right for a 'pure' bred. With that comb as pink as it is, as young as the bird is, you definitely have a cockerel.

6 week EEs

10 week EE

Hen or Cockerel?

They are 12 weeks. They were sold to me as Black Sexlinks but I have two cockerels for sure and two I am uncertain about. But black sexlinks are supposed to have a white spot on their head for cockerels and mine did not. So I am not sure what breed they are. The following pictures are the best I have. These are two different birds which I am hoping are hens, but not sure. I go back and forth on my thinking!

Back
Top Bottom