Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

Not the best pic but I had a hard time catching this lil one. I bought all pullets from Ideal but this one I'm worried is a Roo. She/he is a barred rock about 3 weeks old now. I'm hoping so hard they're all pullets, I already lost 2 chicks to shipping and am really hoping the rest are all hens. The only other barred rock didn't survive the trip

It is a male (cockerel) mixed breed chicken, which is why it has been dumped as you mentioned in your other post.

There is no happy ending for most cockerels and some people negate their responsibility by abandoning them when they realise they have an accidental cockerel in their batch of pullets. Unfortunately you now have the dilemma of what to do with it. If you are not vegetarian then the logical thing is to feed it up and eat it or give it to someone else who will. I know that sounds harsh but it is reality. It will still have a much better and longer life than the chicken you buy at the supermarket or butchers shop.
Good luck dealing with it.

These should be 4wks now. More fun than anything as the dorkings are being dna tested (perks of working in a vet lab).black ones I think are sex links (from a commercial hatchery but were hatched at school).

I think someone had a guess the other day as 1 and 4 as cockerals. Well that were right, actually all 4 have been dna tested as cockerals.

Hi guys! I'd love some feedback on this hatchery dominique. 3 months old, and has me scratching my head because it looks more rooish than the definite pullets, but much less so than our cockerel (who we had to give away).

Our cockerel for comparison:

Back
Top Bottom