Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

Okay, so some of these pictures arent the best. I snapped them before I got in there to clean. Every one is supposed to be a pullet, but the Brahma and the EE (shes the black gold and grey one) have me a bit more concerned. Brahma is pink, and the EE has no coloring yet, but I am concerned by how wide the comb is. The Welsummer was hard to snap a picture of because she is terrified of everything. The Austra White is pretty developed, but I think thats just her breed. The Austra White is 7 weeks old, and the others are all 6 weeks old.
creampuff.jpg
Meringue Cream puff and Sassy.jpg
meringue.jpg
olive again.jpg
olive.jpg

Not sure if Mochi is a cockerel (Wyandottes can be hard to sex) but if he is already biting, it is doubtful he will be a rooster you will want to keep, especially if you have young children around. Males will develop white patches on the upper wing.

Thanks for your thoughts! It's true that I'd worry about rehoming Mochi if he's is a roo. I can put up with the nips but I wouldn't want anyone else to have to, and unfortunately I'm in an area where we can't keep roosters. Fingers crossed that Mochi's a she.

View attachment 553299 View attachment 553300 View attachment 553301 View attachment 553302 Hi everyone, I am a new chicken owner and am positive about my other girls being hens but I have ONE in question that might be a Roo. Out of my flock I have 10, different breeds and colors. I have 3 black Australorps, and one of them seems a little different than the other two. I'm thinking she might be a HE! Any opinions are greatly appreciated The first pic shows the chicken in question next to one of my other australorps and my barred rock girl. The rest of the pics are close ups of the chicken in question. They are all about 8 weeks old.
Arrgh! I am having the exact same dilemma with my 7 wk Lorp chick, but s/he has slightly less comb than yours and slightly more wattle that is pinker, while her comb is peachy. So the question is, what matters more... comb size or comb color? My girl has not changed much in the last 3 weeks regarding color, but the comb has gotten slightly larger. S/he also has a very bold temperament, which as a week old chick, I took for a male. Now I am not so sure. Am wondering if, like cockerels, some dominant females are a little faster with the comb/wattle development. I am watching and waiting with fingers crossed. If s/he is hasn't turned red at 10 weeks, I will remove the / from her pronoun. If the comb turns red, I'll have to take away the s/ and find him a new home.
So sorry, no real answer for you. I would love it of you could update in a week or so.

Arrgh! I am having the exact same dilemma with my 7 wk Lorp chick, but s/he has slightly less comb than yours and slightly more wattle that is pinker, while her comb is peachy. So the question is, what matters more... comb size or comb color? My girl has not changed much in the last 3 weeks regarding color, but the comb has gotten slightly larger. S/he also has a very bold temperament, which as a week old chick, I took for a male. Now I am not so sure. Am wondering if, like cockerels, some dominant females are a little faster with the comb/wattle development. I am watching and waiting with fingers crossed. If s/he is hasn't turned red at 10 weeks, I will remove the / from her pronoun. If the comb turns red, I'll have to take away the s/ and find him a new home.
So sorry, no real answer for you. I would love it of you could update in a week or so.
Wow thanks for the input! I'll definitely update with a new pic shortly this was from the beginning of the week

IMG_2266.JPG IMG_2361.JPG IMG_2274.JPG

This SFH is almost seven weeks old and is supposed to be a pullet. I am worried about the tail length and carriage. I have another SFH who is the same age and has a very different tail. I am not familiar with this breed and am not sure what to pay more attention to, the comb or the tail. So far I see no wattles and the comb is so dark I don't know what to make of it. Any input is greatly appreciated. These two SWH chicks are the most curious, confident and friendly of any chicks I have had, so I will definitely get more next year and would like to learn more about the breed and what characteristics to pay attention to when chick are developing. Thanks!

Here's a photo today, still pink!!!
You can see next to the other two it definitely is more defined. And I also put a picture of the three of them together as a body view and the chicken in question is in the middle,you can see the other two have more of a long pointed back end

View attachment 553889 View attachment 553899 View attachment 553901

This SFH is almost seven weeks old and is supposed to be a pullet. I am worried about the tail length and carriage. I have another SFH who is the same age and has a very different tail. I am not familiar with this breed and am not sure what to pay more attention to, the comb or the tail. So far I see no wattles and the comb is so dark I don't know what to make of it. Any input is greatly appreciated. These two SWH chicks are the most curious, confident and friendly of any chicks I have had, so I will definitely get more next year and would like to learn more about the breed and what characteristics to pay attention to when chick are developing. Thanks!
It looks like a pullet so far. Much more so than my 7 wk Australorp. :hit

Back
Top Bottom