Now About Polish...

I have one polish (white crested black) that was the free exotic from MCM. She (I hope) was the only one with a pasting up problem, so every day for a few days I had to pick her up and clean the poop of her butt. I thought that that was shy she hated me! She's 5 weeks old now, and will actually come and hang out around me when I'm holding somebody else, but she's still not wanting to be picked up, and will not take a hand fed treat from me. The others pecked a bald spot on the top or her fluffy little head when they were all still in the brooder. Does anybody know if it will grow back?

I have one 10 week old buff laced polish(pullet - I think)Compared to all the other breeds-(Buff orps,blrws,EEs,Red Stars and the rock,this one has pretty much always been high strung since hatch. I think that's just the nature of Polish. The rock and the 6 ees were initially a bit skittish but they are calming down some now as all other breeds come readily to eat from my hand as well as hop in my lap. I take the time each day to touch them and/or hold and talk to them all if I am able. Even one of the adult hens(Buff orp) allows me to pet her and pick her up. Another adult(Dominique hen) will come to eat from my hand but doesn't stay around if I try and touch her. It does make a difference if you are able to hand feed them, The polish will eat from my hand and I'm able to occasionally pick him/her up. I read somewhere in this site where trimming the feathers around the Polish eyes helps them gain confidence. I haven't done this yet but plan to do it if for no other reason than to allow this bird a better view for safety sake. My three year old newly adopted (mixed breed Bantum) roo picks on the polish as well as an adult california white hen. I think these birds' upright carriage, high tail carriage and the white's floppy comb make him believe that they are roos. Anyway good luck with the polish. Just work with them. I love their blue legs and funky feathers. I hope my roo will figure out that this is a hen. I believe it is. Lynn

Well we have three WCB polish that we've had since they are few weeks old (about 3) and now they are about 4 months old. While they haven't been the ones to come jump on our shoulders they are friendly to us. They come for treats like everyone else and will eat out of our hands. We've had good experiences with them. And *knock on wood* we have never had any picking problems with them, their crests are beautiful!. Now we just hatched out 4 buff laced polish eggs from Rob (FFFancies) and so far they are the calmest of the bunch we hatched around the same time. As a matter of fact one fell asleep with my daughter (who fell asleep) on the rocking chair last night. Very cute!

I received a buff laced Polish as a freebie from McMurray. Thought it was a hen until about 2 weeks ago when it started crowing! So far, he's been a little skittish, but my 7 year old daughter can catch him and she carries him around like a baby. He seems to like it (once he's caught). They're easy to sneak up on because they can't see you coming!

Mary

tina.jpg

I found my polish a bit skittish, but not aggressive by any means. I think, like a lot of people have stated, that their skittishness comes from not being able to see because of the headgear. My rooster was actually last man on the totem pole...below a Silkie and a Japanese bantam! I found they tended to get picked at a bit too much and decided not to keep them.

Back
Top Bottom