NY chicken lover!!!!

Do any of you know if Easter Eggers are auto-sexing????  Mine all hatched out with chipmunk stripes.....

They aren't, chipmunk stripe is how many breeds hatch out. Some people breed them to be sex linked, but unless specifically bred for it they are not.

Last edited:
demp4 ... I don't feed my backyard mix any differently than my heritage birds. I have some very nice Marans lines (not from hatchery) and some basic mixes ... they all hold their weight and do well through winter.

I DO let them free range nearly 5 out of 7 days (on 7 acres) and do NOT count or keep track of egg production as someone must if they are trying to actually make money or breed for certain traits - but know how many colored and how many super dark eggs I get a day - keeps me in general knowledge.

So I would say it all depends on what you are wanting from your flock as to how you feed -but if I wanted to ramp up egg production - I will still feed my mixes the same as my pures .... only I would give more worms ! Worms make great eggs. ha ha
lol.png

I feed higher protien starter for heavier breed chicks. Layer chicks I stick with the 18%. In the summer I feed a 15% feed to my free range chickens and up the protien in winter when there is no bugs for them. I keep extra cockerels on high protien feed to get the most size before they go to freezer camp, I do not do that with those I intend to grow for breeding, then I ferment it all.

Run going up (and stuff getting thrown everywhere in the process, of course)!

Not bad for half a day's work. I would have gotten further but now I can't find my screws :barnie I swear, nothing is easy with this run.

It would also appear I have my first broody hen of the year. She'll get to hatch something. I'm not sure what yet, but something.

Brown would probably come from a sexlink. They don't breed true but there is some good egg laying genes in there. Usually rhode island red rooster and barred rock, or delaware or white rock hen.

I figured sexlink. Yup they are at our local Stop and Shop. I actually stopped and stared at them thinking, what fun to hatch these! Then a little sense came over me and I decided to hatch what I have.....

This made me crack up ..
I asked my son to pick up a cheap bottle of red wine ...
I looked at it ...Did you get this because ? unconsciously
He said " I paid no attention to the label..Sure ....maybe unconciously ?

Hi, Everyone! I have not be on here in ages...just too much going on. As for this wine, I can't say it is good but before making my own wine I always donated a bottle or two of this to the chicken shows. People loved the bottle!
Hope all is well with eveyone.

Hi I am from CENTRAL NY. My husband and I live 20 miles north of Syracuse. Just started raising chickens 7 weeks ago tomorrow. In fact, my husband was out of town at the time. I have been wanting chickens for YEARS! However, the DH wouldn't take me seriously so....2 days before he came home, I bought 6 baby chicks. Yup....SURPRISE
Let me tell you....I love my girls! However, I would NEVER EVER EVER buy chicks before the COOP again!! Omg....they. Grew out of the brooder faster than the speed of lightning. Now they are in a large dog crate and we are scrambling to build our coop. Between the feeding watering and bringing them outside for a couple of hours, then chasing them back in, the cleaning the worrying and the just plain laughing at them...I am tuckered out! We won't mention my full time job.
Anyway, I have Thelma and Louise, my black Jersey giants, Mary Anne and Ginger, buff orphintons, Bea is a silver laced wyandotte and Charlotte is my golden laced wyandotte. Interesting mix with loads of personality.
If I could only complete the coop.

Back
Top Bottom