NY chicken lover!!!!

New york is on Lock Down as of 8.00 pm sunday says Commo
I went out yesterday and got two weeks of chicken feed hoping to get ahead of any problems with supply. Pretty scary. Our local feed mill shut down last week for reasons unrelated to the virus scare. They have been planning for months to sell to another company and last week was their closing. Went to TSC next and their shelves were almost empty. I got the last bag of chick starter and 4 bags of layer crumble. Their problem is everything is sitting in the store room on pallets and they don't have enough workers to get it stocked back on the shelves. Next was the Agway store and lucky they had scratch and 4 bags of layer pellets.

With about 120 adult birds and 40 chicks in the brooders I was worried about "what if". My introverted and obsessive self would be happy to hole up and go into seclusion for 6 months or so with no complaints. I just happened to buy a huge amount of yarn a few months ago and could probably knit for a year and not run out.

My daughter drove me with her pickup truck and I was telling her it looked like 50 years ago before everything built up so much when you could always find a parking spot and the stores weren't so crowded. It was unsettling to drive through two towns and see everything closed except for a few businesses and hardly any people on the street.

I hope all of you on here are managing alright in these tough times.

Well now here's what going on here. I talk to Dave about getting some chickens but we may want to go away in the Summer. If that is possible. I do wonder what TSC and Country Max will do with chicks. I also thought of the feed thing and didn't really think folks would be hoarding it.
What folks don't get is that the stores are going to be hurting for product as well since suppliers will run out too.
Went to the Regional Market yesterday and there were few vendors. All outside as the buildings are closed. No little red taters so have to go to Wegmans and paid omg $6.99!! Dave did get some little white taters are the market and I did buy two dozen eggs. Wegmans had single roll toilet paper but only allowed one per. I got one and Dave got one. Went to BJ's today and they had none.
Dave went home today so it's going to get lonelier than usual. He still works in Fulton and lives with his mother. I wish the weather would warm up so I could at least go outside and not freeze my buns off.
Whoever mentioned yarn I've got lots. Dave crochets too. Who'd have thought? He went through my box of seeds and is planning a garden. I told him, I'm not doing this by myself.
I think another starling got in the cellar but don't know how. I usually just leave them til they kick it. When this one is done I'm going to go and block all windows with black plastic and see how it got in by seeing where light shines in from outside. I did fill cracks in with foam stuff a while ago so I don't know how it got in. There is no cap on the chimney but heck ti would have to go down it and through the pipe to the hot water tank. Can they do that?
I don't get local TV so don't know about the lock down or is that just NYC?
Well take care, TTFN

Last edited:
I went out yesterday and got two weeks of chicken feed hoping to get ahead of any problems with supply. Pretty scary. Our local feed mill shut down last week for reasons unrelated to the virus scare. They have been planning for months to sell to another company and last week was their closing. Went to TSC next and their shelves were almost empty. I got the last bag of chick starter and 4 bags of layer crumble. Their problem is everything is sitting in the store room on pallets and they don't have enough workers to get it stocked back on the shelves. Next was the Agway store and lucky they had scratch and 4 bags of layer pellets.

With about 120 adult birds and 40 chicks in the brooders I was worried about "what if". My introverted and obsessive self would be happy to hole up and go into seclusion for 6 months or so with no complaints. I just happened to buy a huge amount of yarn a few months ago and could probably knit for a year and not run out.

My daughter drove me with her pickup truck and I was telling her it looked like 50 years ago before everything built up so much when you could always find a parking spot and the stores weren't so crowded. It was unsettling to drive through two towns and see everything closed except for a few businesses and hardly any people on the street.

I hope all of you on here are managing alright in these tough times.
TSC management are hard on their workers. We have the exact same problem here, when I asked they told me that they are full staffed! They have 2 folks running a shift - that's not enough people to be efficient nor is it fair to the staff. :(

I seem to notice new folks at the TSC that I go to. Don't know what's going on with the company. Usually see Pam and Pat (I think her name is). Since I haven't had chickens in a long time I don't stop in. The Turkey polts where a new thing.

Back
Top Bottom