NY chicken lover!!!!

I have to say ever since I saw someone post ducks on another thread, I've been wanting them. These two are so cute!! I don't think I could ever have them though. Wouldn't I need a pond or something in my yard? That may sound stupid but I know nothing about ducks, I would assume I would need something for them to swim in once in awhile, no?

my Pekins have a stock tank I buried in their run.

a lot of people use these. I seem to be the only one who buried it. Everyone else leaves them above ground. My Runners just use a kiddie pool. As long as they can get in the water and submerge their head, they are happy. I love my ducks. don't tell my chickens, but I prefer the ducks. less drama, no pecking order, they accept newcomers with open wings.

Now that's smart! (burying it) I wouldn't be able to do anything like that on my property but knowing they just need some kind of "pool" maybe I'll look into it. I know you mentioned a run, but do they need more of a covered shelter as well like chickens need a coop?

Stony, I love the idea of burying the tank, but how do you empty it to clean it? Sorry if that sound silly! But I've got three ducks here and was trying to figure out a way to keep things looking neat and that would do it, but I gotta know how to clean it..lol!

They are very cool. I went to the CT show this past weekend and there were a couple being shown. I thought of yours. Not enough room in my back yard on Long Island.
in good news (ppppppphhhhhttttttt on the weather) my runner Penelope is showing signs of going broody. are these going to be cute babies or what?

Stony, I love the idea of burying the tank, but how do you empty it to clean it? Sorry if that sound silly! But I've got three ducks here and was trying to figure out a way to keep things looking neat and that would do it, but I gotta know how to clean it..lol!

I pump it out with a small sump pump and clean out the bottom debris with a shop vac.

Morning all!

Lynzi--I can empathize. The 26 in the brooderbox downstairs now need an extension or the coop to get done right quick! They are a little crowded. Might have to move them to the garage and add on another box for space.

Ginny--weird weather here yesterday. We had sun, then hail, then sun, then more hail, etc. all afternoon. The girls were as confused as I was. I guess thats what I get for living on top of a mountain. 2 1/2 miles down the mountain, they only had sun. It was cold and windy so that explains a lot.

Updates:

I ate the godzilla egg last night for supper. It was a double yolker.

The duck incident turns out to be not a duck but a gosling. A canadian gosling to be exact. My friends son had initially dragged it home to her but his girlfriend took to it and took it home with her. She is in the vet tech program at the local community college and took it in with her. Her instructors told her is was only a few days old and had probably been attacked by a predator as it has a scratch on its eye and might not be able to see out of it. It has imprinted on her and she is mothering it in her apartment right now. It follows her around like a puppy. I hope she is able to find it a new home when the time comes. She is treating the scratch right now.

Off to work to earn that chick and chicken feed!!!

Perfect! I've got both laying around here and they will be going to good use..thanks for the help!!

thumbsup.gif

If anyone is looking for a reasonably price shed to convert to a coop. 10X12 for 350 they have 2. This is not me and I have no idea who it is, but if they are in good shape, it might be a good deal.

http://utica.craigslist.org/grd/2974929078.html

OH how I wish they were closer to me!!! If you find something closer to me(between Albany and Mass) I would be definitely interested!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom