OCTOBER HATCH-A-LONG!!! 2015

Hey everyone just wanted to let you know that Paisley was in the coop at night check tonight. Idk where she was but I'm very very glad she's home. I will be keeping a close on the girls for a few days. Thank you all for your well wishes and your prayers. I feel like I won't really believe it until I see her again tomorrow.
smile.png

Yeah! I'm so glad.
celebrate.gif

16 of my 36 eggs hatched already today!!! First time and something went right

Awesome! We'd love to see pictures.

Did day 10 candle and of the the 32 eggs I set 25 are thriving. Of those 16 are from my own girls and 9 I got from a local farmer.

On another note I acquired 2 silkies from a local small animal sell today. They are 6 months old and I hope by spring I can set some of their eggs.
Congrats on the eggs! Silkies are awesome, they are always a ton of fun to have. Just make sure they aren't bullied (they have a tendency for that).

Its around day three or four for my broody hen. She only has two eggs, since we didn't really want any more chickens, but at least she is happy. I'm going to go clean her broody poops out of her cage. Normally I let broodies out in the morning, but its been so cold I don't want her eggs to chill. It actually snowed yesterday! AAHHH.
th.gif

Okay, It's my bedtime and today's hatch for this batch of 23 goes as follows:

Dark Cornish X Cornish Roaster Cross: 5 of the 7 have hatched.
Dark Cornish X Red Star hen: 7 of the 12 have hatched. 2 are pipped. Interesting colors - 3 very dark chocolate, 3 reddish, 1 looks like a Dark Cornish, they do not look sex-link to me. Very pretty colors though. I wonder if the feathers will green? Very pretty on a dark hen. I cannot wait to see how they turn out.

Friends - Araucana X : 3 of 4 pipped.

Up date. Two of the Red Star X eggs were blanks,just got a new candler. 1 pipped then died 10 hours later. So 9 hatched of the 12.
Dark Cornish X eggs 5 of 7, 1 egg has movement, 1 egg no movement.
My friends eggs: 2 Cochin X, 1 Araucana X, 1 Araucana still in egg - no pip.

Last edited:
Okay, It's my bedtime and today's hatch for this batch of 23 goes as follows:

Dark Cornish X Cornish Roaster Cross: 5 of the 7 have hatched.
Dark Cornish X Red Star hen: 7 of the 12 have hatched. 2 are pipped. Interesting colors - 2 very dark chocolate, 3 reddish, 1 looks like a Dark Cornish, they do not look sex-link to me. Very pretty colors though. I wonder if the feathers will green? Very pretty on a dark hen. I cannot wait to see how they turn out.

Friends - Araucana X : 3 of 4 pipped.

Good count so far.
smile.png

Thanks Gita I'm dancing too! She's been a bit jumpy today but who can blame her. Lol everyone had a wonderful time outside today even my two little oegb, hatched what feels like forever but is actually about 8 weeks ago, got some monitored free range time today. Not with the main flock just with the bantam/silkie flock as idk what my other little oegb roo(wheaten or bbr), Nugget, would do to poor little Mickey as they haven't seen each other in some time and never without something between them. I'm kinda nervous about that. Idk if anyone remembers but I got the two oegb eggs from a friend's father's trio of show quality producing blacks. From what I've been told they sell pairs and trios up to 300$ well as you can imagine I'm like holy(you know what) because it was an accident that I got them at all as our friend was mistaken and almost fed the two eggs to the pigs (they were supposed to be placed under a broody to hatch) well I saved them having no idea what I had gotten as it was dark and I had had a couple drinks. Im a lightweight but even tipsy I could see the beauty of the parents. So I took my treasures home and hoping against hope I put them in the incubator. Both hatched and I got a little pullet and a little cockeral. Originally the plan with hatching the eggs was to keep only the pullets as we wanted some more bantam pullets for our boy, Nugget, who continually strikes out with the large fowl ladies he thinks he ought to woo. Lol but I must admit I have fallen in love with Mickey and Minnie and I find myself wanting to keep the both of them. But idk if there is any way in the world that Nugget and Mickey could get along being games. My hope is to get some more eggs from our friend's father as he also has splash and blue and a few other colors. He also suffers from chicken math and just about every kind of animal math you can think of lol. My thinking was if I got some blue and splash pullets then I could breed bbs with Mickey I also have my self blue Crocket :) I see a problem there were just supposed to be a few bantams for fun. Lol

Ok haven't been on in a while been really busy with school and stuff so yeah so my little sisters hen hatched out 10 chicks 11 were fertile one was rotten so the rooster is definitely doing his job with his girls so yeah had another one of my hens go clucky and she is sitting on 12 Orpington eggs and they are due the 7th so all is good ended up have 11 from that Plymouth Rock hens hatch all healthy geese hatched out a total of 9
Goslings this season 5 survived so yeah but there first year so it is good in a way but all died due to drowning so yeah and getting squashed so yeah. Will keep updated and hopefull should be on a lot more

Last edited:
Ok haven't been on in a while been really busy with school and stuff so yeah so my little sisters hen hatched out 10 chicks 11 were fertile one was rotten so the rooster is definitely doing his job with his girls so yeah had another one of my hens go clucky and she is sitting on 12 Orpington eggs and they are due the 7th so all is good ended up have 11 from that Plymouth Rock hens hatch all healthy geese hatched out a total of 9
Goslings this season 5 survived so yeah but there first year so it is good in a way but all died due to drowning so yeah and getting squashed so yeah. Will keep updated and hopefull should be on a lot more

I like the hen

Back
Top Bottom