October-hatch-along 2019

Pics
so here's an update, one ended up being a failed egg from a week ago that my weak candler didn't show, I had 1 drown in egg white, 2 that were not positioned right and pipped through elsewhere than the air bubble and I didn't know to assist them, so they died stuck in the shell. I did assist the next 3-4 that were in that boat, and all but one are out. So in summary, I think like 4 dead or dud, 3 more that are a day behind are still cooking, 6 drying in the bator, five in the brooder. Several eggs disappeared into an alternate dimension because I started with 22. OMG I'm wrung out!
Alternate dimension :gig

I'd be wrung out too

Lockdown for my first batch of 3 Turken mix eggs starts tomorrow afternoon. I took the turner out today, put the shipped eggs in a couple of cartons and laid the others on their sides.

I still have 14 shipped eggs, one I'm not sure of but the rest look good. Showing movement still anyway.

Just a few more days and I should have some chicks :jumpy

911 ok I feel like a total idiot and I'm officially losing it. Three of the best ones (lively, large, fluffy) died in the brooder, I think they got too hot??? I didn't even know that was something I needed to be careful of. Also none of the others are interested in eating or drinking. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong! I had baby chicks from the store this spring and I didn't lose any of them...

911 ok I feel like a total idiot and I'm officially losing it. Three of the best ones (lively, large, fluffy) died in the brooder, I think they got too hot??? I didn't even know that was something I needed to be careful of. Also none of the others are interested in eating or drinking. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong! I had baby chicks from the store this spring and I didn't lose any of them...

Oh no I'm so sorry about the babies you lost. :hugs

Is there a cool side/area in your brooder where they can get away from the heat? My babies seem to self regulate really well by moving further/closer to the heat source just a few hours after hatching (I often take chicks out as they hatch and let them dry off in the brooder since I keep my humidity a little on the high side while hatching in case I need to assist which prevents new chicks from drying well).

My babies usually start getting interested in food and water once they get more mobile (usually 12-24 hours after hatch for my little ones). It sounds like you had a kind of rough hatch, maybe the babies are at a disadvantage from that? :( Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in though.

Back
Top Bottom