October-hatch-along 2019

Pics
Before I try... are they prone to sunburn? Our suns got a mean bight to it, and while I try provide plenty of shade, I know the best bugs will be in the lawn

I live here in the desert where there is a lot of sun. The neck's on these can turn red, but it isn't sunburn. To them it's like us getting a suntan.

Here's the 6 survivors. 4 out of 6 needed help at one point or another. As for the other eggs, all died. On examination most of them internally pipped but they just could not bust through the shell. There was definitely marks in attempt. I know ducks have tougher shells but this was insane. I am hoping the mothers new diet will prevent this from happening again in the future. All flock is an inacurrate name for our old feed

Attachments

• 20191028_163733.jpg
    20191028_163733.jpg
    488.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20191028_163738.jpg
    20191028_163738.jpg
    435.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20191028_163800.jpg
    20191028_163800.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 2
Here's the 6 survivors. 4 out of 6 needed help at one point or another. As for the other eggs, all died. On examination most of them internally pipped but they just could not bust through the shell. There was definitely marks in attempt. I know ducks have tougher shells but this was insane. I am hoping the mothers new diet will prevent this from happening again in the future. All flock is an inacurrate name for our old feed

Awe...look at the wee one in the basket! :loveCute babies.

As for Turkens, they are fantastic for your temps. Mine chill in the shade in the afternoon and forage early morning and early evening when the sun isn't as strong.

23/33 I am happy. I couldn't resist posting a picture of the pinguin and the Missy that already has make up! Is there anyone experienced in wing sexing cross breeds (Heinz 57)?

so on this cross I just hatched, I THINK that two are roos and I have marked them so I can see if it's true. They are having markedly longer tail feathers than the other peeps. Also longer wings. (Although not all of the ones I think may be girls have the tiny tiny wings.) They hatched on the 19th so they are 9 days old and I saw this 2 days ago, so that's not toooooo long to be able to tell. It could be very helpful! We shall see!!!

Eeeekkkk :ya:celebratetheyre all so adorable

Back
Top Bottom