Ended Official BYC Contest - Worst Chicken Molt Pictures - Fall/Winter 2014

This is what my gorgeous Jersey Giant SHOULD look like.

But it's like she held her breath and just blew out all her back feathers.

And about a week later...

And a whole body shot. Her head is a hot mess too. She's desperately trying to hold her wings up high on her back and keep herself covered. Just breaks my heart to see her like this.

This is what my gorgeous Jersey Giant SHOULD look like. [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] But it's like she held her breath and just blew out all her back feathers. And about a week later... And a whole body shot. Her head is a hot mess too. She's desperately trying to hold her wings up high on her back and keep herself covered. Just breaks my heart to see her like this.
I wouldn't want to be an amorous rooster around her ;)

I vote him the winner already
ep.gif

Claudette the EE. She's just getting started and is completely cranky already.

Need a before shot, simply because I bet she is a stunning bird!

My girls can't compete in this contest, they don't look nearly as bad as ANY of the entrants so far. Only the Faverolles look really bad when they moult, like some kid stuck cotton balls and loose feathers on a chicken. The Cubalayas look really stupid without tails, as do the Anconas but none of mine go "lots of skin visible" bald.

Does anyone know why some birds have a bad molt? Do you think its because the are / were ill. Or maybe something like a change in the weather (temp, season etc).

I have chickens for years and none every looked like these pictures. The worst they get is they loose most of their tails for a few weeks.

I wouldn't want to be an amorous rooster around her
wink.png

FORTUNATELY, no rooster for her to worry about. I bought a saddle and tried to put it on her and she totally freaked. What the photos don't show is that she's got pin feathers all over her wings and everywhere. She's just miserable. So I opted to leave her alone. It hasn't been cold and as you can see, those pin feathers are coming in fast and furious. She should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom