Official BYC Poll: Is chicken keeping legal in your town?

Is chicken keeping legal in your town?

• Yes

Votes: 198 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 14 6.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 11 4.7%

• Total voters
The township I live in allows chickens. But you're supposed to get a permit, which I did. Besides the fee, I had to submit a site plan for the chicken coop. And less than 5 acres, I can keep up to 12 chickens, no roosters. (I have 5 hens.) Not allowed to let them loose, but that's ok. There are predators. The next door neighbor also has chickens, and there's no way he got a permit. He doesn't have enough room on his property to keep the coop the required 15 feet from house & property line. He lets his loose, which none of the neighbors care about, but is now down to 3 chickens, I think because of predators.

In my backyard I can keep 6 hens. The family farm a few miles down the road is next town and zoned agricultural so on the 150 acres there we can have all the chickens and roosters we want! I’ll have hens in my yard next year but for now my son and I are two of the three family members delegated to taking care of the chickens which suits me just fine! ❤️ (There’s about 30 of us in the vicinity but just a few more than a handful taking care of the farm duties).

Back
Top Bottom