Official BYC Poll: Is chicken keeping legal in your town?

Is chicken keeping legal in your town?

• Yes

Votes: 198 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 14 6.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 11 4.7%

• Total voters
I voted yes. However our chicken "laws" in Orleans Parish (county) are really strange.
You are allowed to keep 4 pets in New Orleans, some or all can be hens. You are not allowed to keep exotic animals here and roosters are considered exotic animals in New Orleans. Yes, you read that correctly, it makes no sense. It's like saying a Lion is an exotic animal, but a Lioness is not an exotic animal. :he
Most people ignore most of the animal laws, people often have more than 4 pets per household. And if you live in a real New Orleans neighborhood, people won't complain about a rooster. We even have one neighborhood that has a neighborhood pet peacock. When the city tried to get it removed the neighbors got to gether and requested the city make their neighborhood a bird sanctuary, they won. And Mr. Peacock (his name) remains a resident of the neighborhood. :love

What? is that why my hens don't like them? Is this a UK thing?
In the whole of the UK.
It's not that you'll get arrested or anything. It's a shame because my chickens love them! Maybe I'll "accidentally" drop some on the floor

"In 2014 Defra announced a ban on the feeding of mealworms to chickens. The ban is still not widely known by many poultry keepers. ... To put it simply most mealworms are imported and may have come into contact with, or been fed, animal protein which could then potentially pass on disease."

I live in a rural area in England and the answer is absolutely NO regardless of the Homestead Act. There's multiple farms a stone's throw away from me but I can't even keep a singular little bantam chicken or call duck even if it were to be an indoors only pet/emotional support animal (no problem quarantining in case of avian flu or similar). I am so sick of my housing association treating me like utter crap and breaking enough laws themselves in the process, so I've defiantly decided to hatch button quail and keep them indoors anyway. I tried doing this the correct way, asking for permission filling out forms for any prospective animal with all my documentation, husbandry notes and qualifications for keeping animals (none of their other tenants bother) and they threw two fingers up at me an are now trying to literally take half my garden away from me- what about all the trees and shrubs I planted on the side they've decided to take? I am the only tenant in the whole town who isn't actively destroying the community with antisocial behaviour and have spent hundreds of hours and thousands of pounds of my own time and money fixing things because of their negligence, so I feel entitled to my little button quail and if they try to evict me I will freaking sue the everloving crap out of them.
Ive just relocated due to the same issue (association doesn't allow chickens, and animal control could seize them on sight). I had my bantams as house chickens.. of course the got out of the cage and i had to chase them through the yard as I was moving out 😆 It isn't worth the stress of worrying, and the overly restrictive areas tend to attract overly constrained minds.. my advice.. find your new little corner of paradise for your garden and your chickens and love every minute of it ❤

Back
Top Bottom