Official BYC Poll: Is chicken keeping legal in your town?

Is chicken keeping legal in your town?

• Yes

Votes: 199 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 14 6.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 11 4.7%

• Total voters
I live on 6 acres surrounded mostly by farmland. Closest town is 10 minutes away. Closest neighbours I can see are 9 horses and an 84 year old lady who owns the quarter section they roam. So chickens are legal and no one close enough to be bothered by my 18 hens and 8 roosters!! (Not keeping all the roosters, 6 are still young enough they're just starting their hilarious prepubescent boy crowing. 🤣)

I live in a rural area in England and the answer is absolutely NO regardless of the Homestead Act. There's multiple farms a stone's throw away from me but I can't even keep a singular little bantam chicken or call duck even if it were to be an indoors only pet/emotional support animal (no problem quarantining in case of avian flu or similar). I am so sick of my housing association treating me like utter crap and breaking enough laws themselves in the process, so I've defiantly decided to hatch button quail and keep them indoors anyway. I tried doing this the correct way, asking for permission filling out forms for any prospective animal with all my documentation, husbandry notes and qualifications for keeping animals (none of their other tenants bother) and they threw two fingers up at me an are now trying to literally take half my garden away from me- what about all the trees and shrubs I planted on the side they've decided to take? I am the only tenant in the whole town who isn't actively destroying the community with antisocial behaviour and have spent hundreds of hours and thousands of pounds of my own time and money fixing things because of their negligence, so I feel entitled to my little button quail and if they try to evict me I will freaking sue the everloving crap out of them.
I hope you do and get a big fat settlment to boot!

No restrictions here! I live outside city limits, among orchards and vineyards. Wild peacocks and flocks of quail are frequent visitors. Currently, I have fifteen hens and five roosters, though four of them will be gone sometime soon. If I lived in the nearest city (pop. 3,000) I would be able to have six hens, no roosters.

Full throttle where I live. I’m zoned for Agri so pretty much anything goes. There is an ordinance on the books that a poultry house has to be 150’ away from any housing structure but it is not enforced. Built the coop along my new house last year and it’s 30’ away. No problems.

I hope you do and get a big fat settlment to boot!
Thank you for your support!

I'm an asthmatic with allergies, currently wheezing from mould spores and itching from a damp-induced booklice infestation. I have had to throw away so many possessions form being completely riddled with mould ad have been hot washing, bleaching and vinegar wiping everything else. The guy who came to remove mould the other day said he treated the same property 2 years ago. The mould he sprayed was back within 24 hours. It is 100% a longstanding structural issue they've been made aware of. No void inspection was done of my property, the letting agent didn't even know the house had been split into two flats and just ignored me once they realised their mistake and I questioned them about it. The yard looked like this (pictured) when I moved in and they left little disabled me to pick up all the broken glass, condoms and razor blades. Upstairs has a dog and a 3 year old that could have cut their feet open. I may use a walking stick but the way things are looking they don't even have a single leg to stand on!

20201119160103.JPG 20201119160115.JPG

Behind the chainlink fence is a public footpath going through the garden no one told me about which is also completely overgrown because the HA wasn't maintaining it, I got a 4 foot bramble cane to the eye in the summer because it was sticking horizontally out of the fence and I couldn't see it amongst the other greenery. I have PTSD from being stalked and SEVERE social anxiety so being forced to share a garden having my antisocial neighbour outside my bedroom window, his dog peeing and pooping on my fruits and vegetables and having complete strangers be able to go back and forth (there wasn't even a functioning bolt or lock on the garden gate and the fence is clearly collapsed in the pictures) has been extremely stressful.

20201119160127.JPG 20201119160138.JPG

Also my babies. Humidity is low in there and I have a an air purifier running 24/7 next to the vivarium and my bed. I am not causing anyone any problems with these little guys! Sorry for the off topic post people, I will stop ranting now!

peeps3.jpg

Last edited:
The city allows poultry. 6 or 10 hens IIRC. Anything that crows is considered a rooster. I'm about 5 miles outside of city limits and don't know the code. Just fortunate that no one is close enough to complain much and can hear other roosters in the distance.

Back
Top Bottom