Official BYC Poll: Which of These White Chicken Breeds Do You Have?

Which of These White Chicken Breeds Do You Have?

• White Leghorn

Votes: 75 37.5%
  • Rhode Island White

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • White Silkie

Votes: 60 30.0%
  • Araucana

• Sultan

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Bresse

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Yokohama

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Hamburg

• White Frizzle

Votes: 12 6.0%
  • White Sussex

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • White Rock

Votes: 17 8.5%
  • White Wyandotte

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • White Jersey Giant

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • California White

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • White Ameraucana Chicken

Votes: 14 7.0%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 84 42.0%

• Total voters
I wouldn't go as far as to say I prefer chickens that are the color of clouds.. (which are often grey here which "blue" is one of my favored chicken, dog, rabbit, cat& colors). Once again (as with the black bird thread) when I cast my vote I included breeds I have had previously and currently.

My vote for other was Lamona. :cool:

I have 5 white chickens.

One is my cockerel Scott. He came from a White Leghorn Hen and a Crested Cream Legbar Cockerel.

I also have a white hen, Sonoma, who was his sister from the same hatch with same parentage.

I have two purebred White Leghorns.
and just recently Scott fathered a hatch of 6 with one girl being pure white - which has me scratching my head as I removed all white eggs from the broody so i know there was no egg from Sonoma, or the 2 Leghorns!

Attachments

• 20221202_121826.jpg
    20221202_121826.jpg
    919.6 KB · Views: 6
I have 5 Bresse pullets and two cockerels. I really like this breed, they’re so chill (so far). Very friendly and curious, fast growing and maturing (I had boys “crowing” at 4 weeks) and pretty good foragers. I’m in Poland, so I’m not sure if American or French Bresse lines have the same features.

This pic is Mozzarella, my favorite chicken of my whole flock. She’s very sweet and soft. A sweet little blue-legged marshmallow.

Attachments

• 18084C91-BEE9-4758-BBD1-BFFFDD34C517.jpeg
    18084C91-BEE9-4758-BBD1-BFFFDD34C517.jpeg
    367.3 KB · Views: 9
I've had a California White and they're just as flighty as leghorns, but still very sweet. She loves flying over the fences laying her eggs at our neighbors. We kept on having to go over and get her (and apologizing to our neighbors a lot), so we eventually clipped her wing. We also got a Silver Leghorn and a Leghorn hybrid, they also really do like to fly and led all the chicks up to the trees to sleep at night!

I've had a California White and they're just as flighty as leghorns, but still very sweet. She loves flying over the fences laying her eggs at our neighbors. We kept on having to go over and get her (and apologizing to our neighbors a lot), so we eventually clipped her wing.

I never clipped Chipotle's wings because she was smart enough to fly back in (unique among my birds). But she just went out on the lawn, never to the neighbors'.

How does she do with those cold MN winters? I would love silkies but i’m afraid they will do poorly as a subflock with my heavier (and dominating) adults.
‘Tila is doing just fine! We’ve gotten down to -26F outside (+3F in the coop, using two Sweeter Heater units above the roost). Temps have been staying +10F to -15F. She gives us an egg 5-6 days a week. No sign of frostbite. She’s active and happy. We do keep our flock confined to the coop on days when the temperature is <10F, they have a covered and “shower curtained” run open to them when the temp is >10F. We have three Easter Eggers, a dark Brahma, a black copper Marans, a Welsummer, a Faverolles, and a porcelain Sabelpoot roo. ‘Tila usually roosts on the end at night, we don’t see her trying to snuggle in to stay warm. I’ll run out and take a quick snapshot of her…it’s 5.30pm here now and they’ve gone to bed.
While your mileage may vary, we’ve been very pleased with our silkie dealing with the frigid temps and being a part of a flock of standard sized birds. 👍🏻👍🏻

Attachments

• 587FDAE3-6F1C-43D8-A58A-6D687D2A3D19.jpeg
    587FDAE3-6F1C-43D8-A58A-6D687D2A3D19.jpeg
    358.1 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom