Ended Official BYC Valentine Puns Contest Series - Barred Rock My World Photo Contest

Here's Rocky
Rocky Jan 2019a.jpg

She was beautiful! I'm sorry you lost her! :hugs
I know! It was a hard and sudden loss. I woke up to find her barley moving (the day before she had been staying behind the rest of the flock while free ranging, but I didn’t think it meant anything) and I monitored her all day. She showed the signs of an egg bound hen, but after the treatments I felt for an egg and there wasn’t one. I finally decided to take her to the vet around midnight so I could end her suffering. They did x-rays and found nothing wrong. They said it was some sort of genetic thing. It caused pneumonia in her too, and she was probably not going to make it through the night.

I had just ordered 3 chicks before then. A few weeks later, I had 4 baby chicks! I know most hatcheries throw in extras, but It felt like they knew I had a missing space in the flock ❤️
Entry #1!

My old Barred Rock flock! These girls (And guy) were on a roost strike! Apparently what I gave them was
View attachment 2504854
Two Speckled Sussex are there too. Snuggled up to her boyfriend is Daisy (Or Poppy), and the SS butt mid-poop is Henrietta. The other two Speckled Sussex are out of frame with 1 or two of the Barred Rocks.
oh! I should add, they look sickly because it was the middle of the night and they were still very young (hence the pale combs) but they were healthy!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom