Oh Craigslist, You Amuse Me So!

Says its a year old? If that is a Doberman then that picture is at least 10 months old. Its probably a Miniature Pinscher..... No they are not rare, they are so common that you cant get $100 for a puppy.Or at leas I couldn't with the one litter I had of them.

th.gif

I was having a hard time spelling miniature an so I typed Miniature Pinscher in to google an the first image is that exact image. That picture is stolen from http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/miniaturepinscher.htm

The 'when is a puppy no longer a puppy' question roused my interest as I used to show and breed Rough Collies; there were a few 'Puppy' classes but anything over 12 months did not qualify as puppy.

Here in Aus, I believe it would be rare for someone to call a 1 year old a puppy, except maybe a Great Dane or similar.

Thanks everyone, you live and learn:
  1. "Adolescence begins and ends at different ages, depending on the dog. Small breeds may turn into adolescents at six months, large breeds at around nine to 10 months; giant breeds may be 12... Adult Dogs. The onset of adulthood differs varies by breed, but two years of age is about average, give or take a year."
Love the two year is about average, give or take a year lol
wink.png

The 'when is a puppy no longer a puppy' question roused my interest as I used to show and breed Rough Collies; there were a few 'Puppy' classes but anything over 12 months did not qualify as puppy.

Here in Aus, I believe it would be rare for someone to call a 1 year old a puppy, except maybe a Great Dane or similar.

Thanks everyone, you live and learn:
  1. "Adolescence begins and ends at different ages, depending on the dog. Small breeds may turn into adolescents at six months, large breeds at around nine to 10 months; giant breeds may be 12... Adult Dogs. The onset of adulthood differs varies by breed, but two years of age is about average, give or take a year."
Love the two year is about average, give or take a year lol
wink.png

I think most people here refer to anything under 2 years as a puppy cause breeding a female dog under 2 years old is frowned on. Most breeds can start having puppies between 6 months an a year old but its a bad idea to let them. 2 years is pretty standard as the time a female is old enough to breed safely. The way they act also usually changes about the 2 year mark too. So everyone uses the term puppy until then.

I don't know what ages are aloud in puppy classes at shows. I dont show. I breed Pugs. The standard I breed for would never win shows. I want dogs that live long healthy lives doing normal dog things but are still clearly pugs. That means mine are to lean an have to long a nose to show... I want to do Shetland Sheepdogs one day though an I might try showing then.

Here is the look I go for in Pugs..

Chasing the "puppy" rabbit trail...our dog Eve (my avatar) is now 13 months old. Since she's partially deaf and can't hear her correct name, we got in the habit of calling her Puppy. Since we like to play with words, Puppy became Poo-pay (not sure how to spell that), and got shortened to The Poop. So now, I have a hundred pound dog called The Poop. She'll be called a bastardized form of puppy all her life
lol.png
cause that's a name you're just not outgrowing.

Chasing the "puppy" rabbit trail...our dog Eve (my avatar) is now 13 months old. Since she's partially deaf and can't hear her correct name, we got in the habit of calling her Puppy. Since we like to play with words, Puppy became Poo-pay (not sure how to spell that), and got shortened to The Poop. So now, I have a hundred pound dog called The Poop. She'll be called a bastardized form of puppy all her life
lol.png
cause that's a name you're just not outgrowing.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom