Oh Craigslist, You Amuse Me So!

My wife keeps telling me that, Whenever I tell her it looks like it was store bought,,,,,
lau.gif

I actually use cheap USB for breeding coops, I do not expect them to last long but they do their job for a few years. then I just throw another one together.
After you build with the OSB, you can cover that with some siding and it will last a long time.

I couldn't help it. I HAD to reply to the ad just to see what kind of response I'd get. Why not? I had nothing to lose.

ME:

THEM:
Wow!
Way to go.

*I'm just guessing
lau.gif

I think it's Common Core Math, it's not about the right answer it's how you get there...

And it goes something like this...

Four chickens get 12" of roosting space , eight chickens get 6" of roost space and 'more' chickens get 'enough' roost space...

They look at the ads for manufactured coops and see what they claim they'll hold, then make theirs the same size.

Yeh, maybe it was a vice cop. LOL
Likely, or drugs.

After you build with the OSB, you can cover that with some siding and it will last a long time.

Yea, We have thought about that and on some we will. Others will not, I will just paint them. They are mainly breeding coops that get used a couple months a year. I make them cheap and fast, the way I clean the insides is remove on end, clean it and put it back together. Siding will ruin my handy way in and out. The "coops" are real small. I just put them inside over summer to bring them out next winter for breeding.

So today I replied to a CL ad and made arrangements to swing by and purchase the item that was advertised, between 6:00-6:30PM it was to be a surprise for my daughter so the whole family was with me... We show up at the house and the local Po-Po is at the door talking to someone inside and giving me the stink eye for pulling in the driveway... So I get out of the car and explain that I was there in regards to a CL ad, and inquired if I should reschedule or stick around... The officer told me that would likely be a good idea to reschedule... LOL

I texted the person back to reschedule and have thus far not heard back...

I am so sorry, BUT I am picturing an episode of "Cheaters" on TV...

the announcer saying " and this potential customer arrived at the brothel, pulled into the drive and approached the house, so desperate to get to the brothel they ignored the police being there arresting the brothel occupants. So desperate was this person, they had their whole family in the car... Be right back after this commercial...... then fading to a picture of you walking towards the police........

So today I replied to a CL ad and made arrangements to swing by and purchase the item that was advertised, between 6:00-6:30PM it was to be a surprise for my daughter so the whole family was with me... We show up at the house and the local Po-Po is at the door talking to someone inside and giving me the stink eye for pulling in the driveway... So I get out of the car and explain that I was there in regards to a CL ad, and inquired if I should reschedule or stick around... The officer told me that would likely be a good idea to reschedule... LOL

I texted the person back to reschedule and have thus far not heard back...

I am so sorry, BUT I am picturing an episode of  "Cheaters" on TV...

the announcer saying " and this potential customer arrived at the brothel, pulled into the drive and approached the house, so desperate to get to the brothel they ignored the police being there arresting the brothel occupants. So desperate was this person, they had their whole family in the car... Be right back after this commercial...... then fading to a picture of you walking towards the police........

I kind of wish it was so 'exciting' it was merely an ad for a perfectly legal snake and enclosure, nothing more... The only 'exciting' thing about it is that I'm waiting for my renewed plates in the mail to arrive for the trailer, so technically it has expired tags and I of course don't want to draw the attention to that... They generally ignore my trailers anyway as I plate them out of Maine, and thus to the police it's not as obvious when they expire with a quick glance as they are not IL plates...

Last edited:
I kind of wish it was so 'exciting' it was merely an ad for a perfectly legal snake and enclosure, nothing more... The only 'exciting' thing about it is that I'm waiting for my renewed plates in the mail to arrive for the trailer, so technically it has expired tags and I of course don't want to draw the attention to that... They generally ignore my trailers anyway as I plate them out of Maine, and thus to the police it's not as obvious when they expire with a quick glance as they are not IL plates...

Well, dang... I must as well take "Cheaters" off my recorder if I am not going to get to see this episode.

OK, just curious, how do you manage to plate the trailers in ME if you live in IL? You have 2 residences? Family down east?

I use a Statutory Agent aka Broker that registers it in my name with their address in Maine, this is the agent I use, and I have nothing but good experiences with them https://mainetrailerregistrations.com/

The initial reason I sought them out was that I had purchased a vintage (1970s) trailer on CL for $100, it had a valid IL title but the seller endorsed it with his business name 'Jim's Landscape' the IL DMV said the title has to be endorsed by an authorizing agent of the company no the company name... They then informed me that no corrections or alterations can be made to the title and that the previous owner would now have to pay for a replacement title and then properly sign that over to me,and then I would have to do the title and plate transfer... Lets just say I was not going to even ask a guy that just sold a trailer for $100 to spend money and time getting me a new title, and I wasn't really looking forward to paying for a replacement, title only to send it back and pay for a new title in my name as well as plating cost... Back in the day the easy solution was to simply apply for a 'home built' title and re-register it, but too many people were stealing trailers and doing that, so now for a home built trailer in IL you need all the material receipts, as well as an in person inspection form a State Trooper... Also since I live on the IL/WI border I have purchased numerous trailers from Wisconsin over the years and in WI they don't need titles or even plates up there on many trailers so as you can imagine trying to title it in IL with no existing title or registration is beyond troublesome now...

So in my quest I came across the company linked above, and Maine is a very friendly trailer licensing state, since my trailer was so old it didn't need a title at all, it only needed a bill of sale and I had one of those, presto legit and legal plates no hassle...

Plus I like the fact they are 5, 10 or 12 year plates, and I don't have to be bothered every year renewing, and it's cheaper then IL... Win,win, win...

Now back to my original story, the seller got back to me tonight and asked if I was still interested, swung over there and picked up the snake and enclosure no hassle... Apparently the seller is being 'pressured' by local LE to be a witness and he wants no part of it... And if the house smelt anything like it did tonight when the Po-Po showed up yesterday he might have some other explaining to do now ;)

In the end happy daughters... (sorry about the focus, low lighting and phones don't always work well)

Yes, my daughters love snakes, reptiles, lizards, bugs, spiders and everything girls are not supposed to...

lau.gif

I was the same way!!!! Perhaps you have a few science teachers, future herpetologists, or exotic animal veterinarians in the making!

My fav reptile was a prehensile tailed skink named Stanley. I also had a 5' green iguana for 15 years. Her name was Newton because she discovered gravity on a daily basis. My students loved her!

Quote:
I own my property and don't have a lot of years left. We are in our 70's. I'm tired and don't want to replace any more wire and post for the rest of my life. I just want to enjoy my birds and they are enough work. I have been thinking of selling most of my birds. It is true that gates and such don't work well with metal posts. I only have chickens now. They have their coops and pens. No more horses or cattle. The chickens do get let out into the pasture but don't roam too far from their coops and pens. I just replaced most of the chicken wire with welded wire. I have one pen left to do.
This is an older picture. The smaller trees in the pens are much bigger now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom