Oh Craigslist, You Amuse Me So!

Yeah if you don't have a reliable family member or reliable close friend (reliable being the key word) it can be quite costly to pay someone to take care of them... I know for me it's been a pain to find people (that I trust to be reliable) to take care of my birds and other animals and collect eggs every day when i have went on vacation... It's easy to find a person that will do it for a few days, but trying to find someone to do it for a week every day is generally a challenge and requires me to network several 'backups' that can be called to fill in or share the load...
I understand what you're saying. That's why I always say I have incredible neighbors. I have a waiting list of chicken sitters. Most sitters are my neighbors who adore the chickens. I try to make sure it's just the "normal flock" & not go away at a time when we have chicks in multiple stages, with brooders &/or several chicken tractors going. Asking someone to come 2x a day to check feed/water, brief sand sifting, collect eggs & open/shut door isn't bad. They get paid in all the eggs they can eat, plus garden produce.

Quote:
I wish I had incredible neighbors. Also I agree, "it's easy to find a person that will do it for a few days, but trying to find someone to do it for a week or longer, every day is generally a challenge." I don't know what size you flock is, but I go through 200 to around 300 pounds of feed a week. Some of my coops have 40# feeders.There others around 20#'s for my smaller breeding coops and pens. We live in a very rural area. Many people who live in our area also have chickens so they don't need eggs. I do sell a lot of eggs. I average around 6 dozen eggs a day. Some days maybe a bit more and some days maybe a bit less. It is a lot of work for someone to look after my flock. It takes me around a half hour or a little more to collect all of the eggs. Most evenings they get treats when I collect the eggs so it takes a bit longer to collect the eggs. Any dirty or poopy eggs I wash. I do sort my eggs and the small eggs or any that have a crack or any imperfections I keep for myself. I'm glad if it's easy for some people to get people to look after their flocks. If you have a few birds I'm sure it's easier to fine someone to care for them than it is for a person with a large flock. I am lucky that I have a feed store down the road where I get my feed and the owner is my neighbor. He will let me run up a tab if I go on vacation. The poster on this thread also mentioned it is a EMERGENCY VACATION. It does seem a little strange to have an emergency vacation. I don't think of an emergency as a vacation. Just my observation.

I wish I had incredible neighbors. Also I agree, "it's easy to find a person that will do it for a few days, but trying to find someone to do it for a week or longer, every day is generally a challenge." I don't know what size you flock is, but I go through 200 to around 300 pounds of feed a week. Some of my coops have 40# feeders.There others around 20#'s for my smaller breeding coops and pens. We live in a very rural area. Many people who live in our area also have chickens so they don't need eggs. I do sell a lot of eggs. I average around 6 dozen eggs a day. Some days maybe a bit more and some days maybe a bit less. It is a lot of work for someone to look after my flock. It takes me around a half hour or a little more to collect all of the eggs. Most evenings they get treats when I collect the eggs so it takes a bit longer to collect the eggs. Any dirty or poopy eggs I wash. I do sort my eggs and the small eggs or any that have a crack or any imperfections I keep for myself. I'm glad if it's easy for some people to get people to look after their flocks. If you have a few birds I'm sure it's easier to fine someone to care for them than it is for a person with a large flock. I am lucky that I have a feed store down the road where I get my feed and the owner is my neighbor. He will let me run up a tab if I go on vacation. The poster on this thread also mentioned it is a EMERGENCY VACATION. It does seem a little strange to have an emergency vacation. I don't think of an emergency as a vacation. Just my observation.

Wow! That's a lot of chickens! Since I have more than 10 hens & go through 2 bags of feed a month, I thought I had a lot. You have me beat! We live in a neighborhood, so the neighbors must be supportive of our little flock or we wouldn't bother keeping chickens. A few friends will even bring their veggie scraps to our house as chicken treats. We sell extra eggs, but we never have enough to meet the demand.

Chicks - Pure Bread - hatching weekly - $3 (Fall Creek)
< >
00Y0Y_jz6lAY7hMU9_600x450.jpg

New Chicks for sale: $3.00 each
Pure Bread Birds from a NPIP Certified flock.
Pure Bred:White Orpington, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Partridge Cochin
Selling them as Straight Run only. I will not begin to guess what sex they are.
Minimum purchase is 6 chicks due well being for chicks. No discounts based on quantity.
We have new batches hatching weekly. They have been selling out about a week ahead. Call ahead to get your name on the list.

Has anyone ever had any luck with crossing their chickens with a couch? LOL!! The importance of spell checking your post before putting it out there for all to see.

http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/grd/5558090666.html

BANTAM COUCHEN crosses upick - $10 (randleman)

00c0c_7i2IqCzDQv0_600x450.jpg

6445.png
6445.png
6446.png
6446.png

marker-shadow.png

marker-icon.png

00a9.png
craigslist - Map data
00a9.png
OpenStreetMap

2608 forest park Dr.
(google map)​

BANTAM COUCHEN crosses and some not crosses upick 10 DOLLARS apiece price firm. i do not sex birds, come check them out.
show contact info
Over 2 months old. Pics are of chicks but they look the same. Only over 2 months old.

That's cute. Perhaps that's what happened with my hen.

I call my lav orp a "couch potato" because she likes when one of the kids brings her inside to watch TV. She'll just sit there on a person's lap for 30-60 min - sometimes more. When she begins to stand frequently or gets wiggly, we know she needs to go back outside to "use the yard."

I know people who have been hatching for a lot longer than they have heard the term, that will tell you that "lockdown" is a myth.;)

Perhaps it was invented to stop impatient chicken hatchers from killing their eggs with constant candling in those last few exciting days. Without lockdown imagine how many trips out of the incubator some eggs would take!
263a.png

I know people who have been hatching for a lot longer than they have heard the term, that will tell you that "lockdown" is a myth.;)

Perhaps it was invented to stop impatient chicken hatchers from killing their eggs with constant candling in those last few exciting days. Without lockdown imagine how many trips out of the incubator some eggs would take!
263a.png

Done carefully, candling causes no harm...

Lockdown's only real purpose is to serve as a mental minder the eggs are due to hatch soon, and thus act as a mental minder to turn off or remove automatic tuners (to prevent injury from said devices) potentially increase humidity (for easier hatches), or move the eggs from the incubator to a hatcher... Pretty much everything else associated with the current enigma version of 'lockdown' is hyperbole in an attempt to create a more fool proof set of hatching instructions...

Last edited:
https://springfield.craigslist.org/grd/5561256981.html

Custom Made Pallet Table - $150 (sw springfield)
image 3 of 3
1 2 3
condition: excellent
make / manufacturer: custom
model name / number: custom

I am selling a custom made pallet table I built. This piece is sturdy, heavy, and delightfully rustic with the color variation of the wood and the labeling! The wood has been washed, sanded, and oiled thoroughly but is unfinished, raw, heat treated wood. A lot of care and time went into making this piece, I hope it goes on to a loving home

https://springfield.craigslist.org/grd/5561256981.html

Custom Made Pallet Table - $150 (sw springfield)
image 3 of 3
1 2 3
condition: excellent
make / manufacturer: custom
model name / number: custom

I am selling a custom made pallet table I built. This piece is sturdy, heavy, and delightfully rustic with the color variation of the wood and the labeling! The wood has been washed, sanded, and oiled thoroughly but is unfinished, raw, heat treated wood. A lot of care and time went into making this piece, I hope it goes on to a loving home

The pictures are what sells this, LOL three pallets stacked on some stubby legs...

Back
Top Bottom