OH NATIONAL 2012 ~ Are you going to be there?

OK, I've decided to post the breeds I'm interested in: Silver laced Wyandotte, Blue Laced red wyandotte, welsummer, Lemon cuckoo Orpingtons, Light brahamas, and Porcelain bearded silkies or possibly Splash bearded silkies.

If anyone will have any of these chicks available at the show please pm me so I can decide if I want to make the drive :) Thanks!
jumpy.gif

I am a newbie and am having a hard time finding fall chicks. I was sooo excited when I saw this until I typed it into mapquest :( 5hr 17min. Although I would probably pay more in shipping to find all the breeds I want. Definitely gonna have to run it past the hubby, he's gonna think I'm crazy.

Do not expect to find many chicks at any fall show. In the exhibition poultry world hatching usually starts right after The OHIO NATIONAL. The show is part of the grande finale on the season signals the start of the breeding/hatching season.

The flip side of not finding chicks in the early fall, is that a lot of breeders (especially with higher than normal feed prices this year) will be selling a lot of breeding age birds that they are not keeping for breeding. The Ohio Nationals in my experience is a great place to find good breeders to start yourself with. This fall in particular I've seen a lot of breeders selling all but the very best they have to limit the amount of feed they need over the winter, so it's a good year to jump in with some quality stock. If you have a specific breed in mind, it's best to try to make arrangements before you go to help insure you get what your looking for...otherwise impulse buying can quickly empty your wallet given all the great looking birds in the sale pen area!

Hope there's somebody that would like to talk ducks...specifically, Call ducks!

I'll be around the Calls and will also have some for sale...look for me in the camo ball cap with the ponytail hanging out the back...

Heeheehehee..."pollution tester"
big_smile.png

You don't want "pollution testers" anywhere...we have them around the Chicago area and that's nothing but a pain...

I'll be around the Calls and will also have some for sale...look for me in the camo ball cap with the ponytail hanging out the back...
With over 600 Call ducks entered there is bound to be someone to talk to. The entry of Call ducks is more than half again as many as were exhibited at the Call Duck National meet.

OK, I've decided to post the breeds I'm interested in: Silver laced Wyandotte,
The Eastern National Meet of the Wyandotte Club is being held at The OHIO NATIONAL and several of the very top SLW breeders will be there. I know Rick Hare is coming and Bill Gladhill usually comes.
Blue Laced red wyandotte, welsummer,
Will be some there.
Lemon cuckoo Orpingtons,
? I don't think Santa Claus is coming this year. He is your best bet for getting some of those.
Light brahamas,
No problem.
and Porcelain bearded silkies or possibly Splash bearded silkies.
Over 100 Silkies entered in the open show alone and only about 1/3 of them are white.

If anyone will have any of these chicks available at the show please pm me so I can decide if I want to make the drive :) Thanks!
jumpy.gif

My daughter has been begging me to get her some calls, so maybe I'll send her your way so you can instruct her on how to build her first duck pen, and what to look for when buying her first pair of calls...:)

You must go! My first time was last year and I was so overwhelmed that I couldn't begin to tell you what was available
celebrate.gif
I spent all day just looking at each, individual bird...trying to absorb all the information that I could. This year I'm hoping to find a BQ Black Silkie pair to start out my black pen (hint, hint breeders
wink.png
). I would LOVE to get together with fellow BYC'ers to learn even more and to talk CHICKEN!

Hey, Leslie, I'm planning on going too. Are you going to hang out all day? I'll see if I can find you. I'll be in a battered fedora and an American Buckeye Club red t-shirt.

If all goes according to plan.

rick

Hey, Leslie, I'm planning on going too. Are you going to hang out all day? I'll see if I can find you. I'll be in a battered fedora and an American Buckeye Club red t-shirt.

If all goes according to plan.

rick
YEAH RICK!! I will be looking for you! I have no idea what my wardrobe will be for the day, but I will track you down! Any doubts, I'm the one stalking the silkie aisle and harrassing the youth with questions...I will be going Friday night to check out a few birds than all day Saturday...
woot.gif

Thanks, haha I've spent many hours researching which birds would best suit my family and the pic of the "lemon cuckoo Orpington" was prettier than the buff. I enjoy the humor
lau.gif
. Is this a recognized breed? Or is it just very rare?

Back
Top Bottom