Ohiki Chicken Thread

Pics

birdman123

Songster
9 Years
Sep 18, 2010
woodsfield ohio
I am not sure if there has already been an Ohiki thread or not. Anyway, Lets make this the thread to post all of your pics of your Ohiki Chickens for everyone to see. :) I dont have any but plan on getting some sometime.

Here is the Ohiki Thread that is already started and it has a pic or two. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=407171&p=1

But
dont expect many photos becuase there are VERY few breeders in the US that have them, I believe Toni Marie Astin here in Ga. was the one who imported some of the original ones and the very breeders that have them generally only distribute them within their close knit group as this is a breed ( like the other authentic longtail breeds) that really should only be kept by the breeders who have the time and dedication and knowledge to keep longtails and breed them the way they should be . I belive the most believable info I have read about their origin was I belive starting with Pekins( Cochin Bantams) and the Japanese Onagadori. I have also read some where that the Chabo ( similar to the Japanese bantam breed) was also used but Ohiki dont have high set tails wound doubt they were really used and I had been told by one breeder that they werent.

no one has them an everyone doessnt want to give them up. Does anyone have any? I contacted the breeder but no response how come? Bob

I believe one or two members have them. Very few people let their bloodlines go because the do so much work with them, they need heat in the winter, special diets and housing. They are a serious undertaking, I have been doing a lot of research about them and plan on starting a project this spring to make a look alike. If anyone is interested in working on the project with me let me know.

-Ian

can you get me some chickens celtic hill or eggs? I was wanting the ohikis but will put them with my layin hens if poss I have a heat lamp thanks Bob

There really is no point in having Ohiki or long tails for that matter, if they are going to live in a flock of birds, they need to be kept in small groups or the males alone. In order to grow long tails there needs to be only a few birds or else their tails will get broken off. Don't take offense to this, but that is why people dont give out their genetics out.

I won't have eggs till next spring.

I sent toni an email asking about hatching eggs. After I was honest in my answer that I was not a breeder I got no more responses from her.not everyone can devote time and space to breeding one breed of bird but many people would like to keep a trio of a breed.we live in a restricted subdivision and not really suppose to have birds at all, but I love the birds I have and do my best to make them happy. I understand the effort they have put forth but If only a select few have the birds,how does that benefit the breed? If its money you are after,I guess it drives the price up to hold on to them but being that way keeps people who have true interest away. When people started the MF cochin I had two people that were kind and mentored me about the birds. That to me seems the way to go.....breeding to standard, getting your breed established,and friendship.good luck on your search and hope your results are better than mine.

Back
Top Bottom