Ohiki Chicken Thread

Pics

birdman123

Songster
9 Years
Sep 18, 2010
woodsfield ohio
I am not sure if there has already been an Ohiki thread or not. Anyway, Lets make this the thread to post all of your pics of your Ohiki Chickens for everyone to see. :) I dont have any but plan on getting some sometime.

Phoenix were added to Ohiki to make Phoenix Bantams.

Not sure where that info was seen, but 100% not true.
Phoenix have never been used in American ohiki by proper breeders at least. Some cons mixed everything they could but they are gone now.

The two are too far apart type wise for it to work in any kind of benifical way. The UK did it and thats why they have hard tailed, narrow bodied, long leg birds.

Bantam phoenix have been here for decades. Ohiki were only imported in 2002 by my buddy.

She is the one who made all the new colors. Cochin, english orps, and wyandotts were what was used.

Bantam phoenix were made over 100 years ago off dutch, old english, and various game type birds that were similar is size and shape.
Since the tail genes are dominate it was an easy cross with similar body types breeds.

But no, in the US the ohiki and phoenix have not been used in any kind of orgainsed breeding.

Last edited:
I sent toni an email asking about hatching eggs. After I was honest in my answer that I was not a breeder I got no more responses from her.not everyone can devote time and space to breeding one breed of bird but many people would like to keep a trio of a breed.we live in a restricted subdivision and not really suppose to have birds at all, but I love the birds I have and do my best to make them happy. I understand the effort they have put forth but If only a select few have the birds,how does that benefit the breed? If its money you are after,I guess it drives the price up to hold on to them but being that way keeps people who have true interest away. When people started the MF cochin I had two people that were kind and mentored me about the birds. That to me seems the way to go.....breeding to standard, getting your breed established,and friendship.good luck on your search and hope your results are better than mine.

Quote:
It is not that someone is being judged as unfit or unworthy it is that we all that are working with the Ohiki are trying to protect the breed from people that do not care about what they have. Ohiki are a very rare breed as everyone knows so if we do not care for them the way we do they will be mixed with all other birds and lose the Ohiki for ever. The thing is if we see that someone is truly in it for the long hall and is looking to help care for the breed the way they need it we will try to get that person some Ohiki. There has been times that someone will get birds and just let them run in the yard and something will kill them and they come back asking for more of them! THAT IS WHY WE DO NOT LET THE BREED GO TO JUST ANYONE!

Well, if its not just anyone then who? I am not trying to be sarcastic.honestly I asked politely about the birds and was honest that I knew I would never be a "breeder"and I know you are afraid of impurities,but have you ever heard of that thing called life? Things do happen beyond your control.good or bad. I consider myself a good stuard of my birds.my are behind electric fences, but if the power went out because some drunk hit a power pole and the neighbors pitbull got loose and got through that fence then that means I don't care? I looked at your website and you have beautiful birds but and I really do wish you well with them, but if they become intangable to people I afraid its gonna be a few of you sitting around by yourself watching your chickens by yourself. Let me repeat I do not mean to offend you but what gets across on the message you relay is look but go away..........

well,
I consider myself a good friend of Toni-Maries, she has helped me immensely over the past few years. She is the founder of the ohiki in this country. With out her , her imports, and her continued work with the breed, well, there would be absolutely NONE here anyway, period. She is not a big people person either (her words to me) and the ohiki are her babies, literally. Now that being said, maybe we have a better understanding of the actual breed and the breeder in question. She is not obligated to sell to anyone, and actually will only give to ones that she has personally seen is willing to put forth the FULL effort to continue her work with them. As for the beginner longatil enthusiast, she and most will prefer you start with something like phoenix or sumatras. Get your feet wet with those, and over a couple years, show your dedication to the breeds.
Continue to ask questions, ask for a copy of her book so you can learn more on them (yes she wrote the book on longtailed fowl she;s not a back yard breeder she a longtailed fowl conservationist would be the best description of her )
All this being said, sorry, but if she doesnt know you pretty much it aint gonna happen on the ohiki, can you blame her, shoot no. She does want to see the breed be spread to more hands though, she has told me that. But it must be to those she feels confident about in their desire and ability to properly care for them.
God only knows how many countless hours of time, and thousands of dollars she has in HER project. YES HER project, like I said, these are her birds, she's solely responsible for them being here.
So lets not be so quick to get mad about no e-mail replies, get on her forum and talk there, I guarantee you she'll reply.

And lets all remember this is a very special breed, in the longtailed world, to me they are second only to the true onagdori. They arent a back yard bird or for hobbiest JUST YET. One of her threads talks about how sensitive they are to being kept on ground, going on to say after 1 1/2- 2 years they tend to drop dead and that off the ground pens would seem to be a better way to go with them. Stuff like this is what you need to check into before hand. Do some heavy research and learn all you can on them.They need time to build the US flocks up and she's quite capable of doing that on her own. So be patient, they'll be available sooner or later
wink.png

I don't have any on ebay right now. And honestly watch the others on there. Bunch of first class mutt jobs on there being called ohiki that aren't even close. If you are on FB, we have several ohiki groups there as well.
I sent you a message though with all the info

Back
Top Bottom