OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

When does everyone shut their bators down? Or do you? Thanks to my neighbors, I only have 4 hens left laying, but 3 have went broody. I thought their timing was a bit ridiculous, but they didn't agree with our chicken talk. I'm worried I'm going to have 3 batches of babies freezing outside. I have some EEs from July's hatch outside, August's late hatch still inside. I'm worried about putting them out since the night time temps are dipping pretty low.

i run mine all year, but it gets more tricky to brood them. - dont hatch more than you can easily brood, it takes longer than a month in the winter.

if broody hens are hatching them its different, the hens will keep them just fine most of the time. i had a bantam rock hen hatch 3 out of 4 when the temp was in the teens, and raised them all.

So I turned the A/c off today, didn't think anything of it. 

DH said the fan was melting the box where I have 7 eggs in lock down.. I was out most of the day but he moved the fan away. I finally got a moment and went and looked at the eggs, the temp inside the box was reading 110, the eggs felt hot to the touch.. did I cook them? 

This last time I incubated in my homemade incubator, before I installed a thermostat and fan, I caught the temp up well over 110 many times. 9 of the 15 eggs survived until about 20, when the temp spiked up to about 110 again. That time sadly killed 7 of them, but 2 survived all of that and hatched! So I agree, keep them going, candle, and hope for the best!

Got 120cc of mineral oil down buck. He pooped! Still not perfect, but acting more alert and is still talking to his ladies. Still shuffling. It's improvement! Thought about loading him in the trailer but was saving that for a last resort. If he doesn't do anymore than he'll get loaded and go for a "ride".

:woot If he managed to go, it's probably not too terribly urgent. Fingers still crossed for you, though!

I'm working out shipping arrangements on a splash silkied AM roo!!!!!

Ooh, double :woot

When does everyone shut their bators down? Or do you? Thanks to my neighbors, I only have 4 hens left laying, but 3 have went broody. I thought their timing was a bit ridiculous, but they didn't agree with our chicken talk. I'm worried I'm going to have 3 batches of babies freezing outside. I have some EEs from July's hatch outside, August's late hatch still inside. I'm worried about putting them out since the night time temps are dipping pretty low.

Seeing as I suffer from "Empty Incubator Syndrome" (LOL), I plan to hatch (or try to..) all winter, but I have a spare room in the house set aside for brooders, so I can keep babies in until they're feathered enough to be warm outside. That's the plan, at least. I may be forced to hold off for a while if DH gets his way..

i run mine all year, but it gets more tricky to brood them. - dont hatch more than you can easily brood, it takes longer than a month in the winter.

if broody hens are hatching them its different,  the hens will keep them just fine most of the time.  i had a bantam rock hen hatch 3 out of 4 when the temp was in the teens, and raised them all. 

Well, I'm not sure how these hens are going to be as mommas. Suppose I'll find out! One's a barred rock, a speckled Sussex, and a solid white hen that I know nothing about, except she decided to sit and that's that. I don't mind having the babies. The more the merrier. So much easier to slip those chicken swap chickens in when my husband isn't paying attention. Lol!

I have 2 silkies, a jersey giant, a Langshan, and 8 Bantam Cochins in the brooder right now. They all should be good and feathered up and ready to head outside by the time I find something interesting to put in the bator! :D I want to try some ducks, but not over winter. Not keeping them messy things in the house all winter!

You
This last time I incubated in my homemade incubator, before I installed a thermostat and fan, I caught the temp up well over 110 many times. 9 of the 15 eggs survived until about 20, when the temp spiked up to about 110 again. That time sadly killed 7 of them, but 2 survived all of that and hatched! So I agree, keep them going, candle, and hope for the best!
:woot If he managed to go, it's probably not too terribly urgent. Fingers still crossed for you, though!
Ooh, double :woot
Seeing as I suffer from "Empty Incubator Syndrome" (LOL), I plan to hatch (or try to..) all winter, but I have a spare room in the house set aside for brooders, so I can keep babies in until they're feathered enough to be warm outside. That's the plan, at least. I may be forced to hold off for a while if DH gets his way..

That's it! You're a genius! We don't use our upstairs! And there's 2 spare bedrooms up there! Wonder how long before my husband notices a lot of peeping coming from upstairs?

That's it! You're a genius! We don't use our upstairs! And there's 2 spare bedrooms up there! Wonder how long before my husband notices a lot of peeping coming from upstairs?

LOL Sounds like the majority of the ladies here, myself included. If it doesn't get you in trouble, go for it! Just be prepared for constant cleaning. It's disgustingly amazing how much dust babies inside a covered brooder produce and somehow deposit throughout the entire room. Worth it to keep them comfortable and healthy, but still.. :sick.

Last edited:
lau.gif
idunno.gif
i dont have a response to that.

Well, I'm not sure how these hens are going to be as mommas. Suppose I'll find out! One's a barred rock, a speckled Sussex, and a solid white hen that I know nothing about, except she decided to sit and that's that. I don't mind having the babies. The more the merrier. So much easier to slip those chicken swap chickens in when my husband isn't paying attention. Lol!

I have 2 silkies, a jersey giant, a Langshan, and 8 Bantam Cochins in the brooder right now. They all should be good and feathered up and ready to head outside by the time I find something interesting to put in the bator!
big_smile.png
I want to try some ducks, but not over winter. Not keeping them messy things in the house all winter!

If the hens have gone broody, I say give them a chance. I'm fairly new to chickens, and inadvertently started out with lots of broody breeds (which has led to me breeding Araucanas). All my girls that have gone broody have been successful moms--I just leave them to it. If you can, just try to set cold-hardy breeds.

Kirsten

Back
Top Bottom