OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

I've lucked out so far. All of my roosters have been sweethearts. The new serama thinks he's a lap chicken and was hanging out with me for hours yesterday. Unfortunately, sweethearts or not, my extra boys end up in freezer camp.

I have 13 babies hatched last week for sale. colors are blue and silver pied and barred. would sell 10 of them. PM me if interested. I am in New Madison, Ohio. Near Richmond Indiana.

Swedish Flower Hen chicks hatching this weekend. Pictures to follow. For sale, PM for details.

Anyone lose a turkey lol?
This one showed up in my yard this morning and it seems to be in rough shape. It's driving my flock batty roosting on top of my coop and run.
Anyone know is this is a hen or young tom? Breed?
I have zero experience with turkeys other than eating them on Thanksgiving
1f62c.png

I hope you have him some good and water if he is looking rough!

No I don't yet, and I'm as big an animal lover as you'll ever find, but my first priority is the health of my flock. I don't know what diseases or parasites this turkey might have and so I really don't want it near my other birds right now. I have 24 babies and my Marans breeding flock in the area where it keeps coming around. We have upwards of 50 birds total in all 5 coops so a disease running through my flock isn't something I'll knowingly risk by encouraging a stray bird to hang around.
If it insists on staying and we can't find the owner, we'll try to catch it, quarantine it, and give it lots of tlc. But as of now, there's a large creek with water it can drink from adjacent to my coops and plenty of nature's snacks it can eat foraging. I'm hoping if it's wandered off from an area farm it will hear it's flock mates and find its way back. If it's been dropped off, and we can catch it- I imagine we will decide during the quarantine period whether to rehome it or keep it.

No I don't yet, and I'm as big an animal lover as you'll ever find, but my first priority is the health of my flock. I don't know what diseases or parasites this turkey might have and so I really don't want it near my other birds right now. I have 24 babies and my Marans breeding flock in the area where it keeps coming around. We have upwards of 50 birds total in all 5 coops so a disease running through my flock isn't something I'll knowingly risk by encouraging a stray bird to hang around.
If it insists on staying and we can't find the owner, we'll try to catch it, quarantine it, and give it lots of tlc. But as of now, there's a large creek with water it can drink from adjacent to my coops and plenty of nature's snacks it can eat foraging. I'm hoping if it's wandered off from an area farm it will hear it's flock mates and find its way back. If it's been dropped off, and we can catch it- I imagine we will decide during the quarantine period whether to rehome it or keep it.

That's great advice for others too @Laurel Meadows. A "free" bird can turn out to be the most expensive bird you've ever owned.

Back
Top Bottom