OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

HELP!! This is a picture of one of my RIR girl's belly. She's looked a little rough for a month or so. I thought she was molting and I see evidence of that. She has new feathers coming in around her neck. Her belly looks terrible and not at all like she's getting new feathers. I don't see mites. None of the other girls are balding. I cleaned out the coop to make sure there was nothing wet laying around. She has been sleeping on the ground and not going to roost at night. Her belly is now swollen feeling and under pressure. I don't feel an egg which was my first thought. She sits and acts like she is going to lay but I don't generally get eggs from her. She is waddling a little today and generally seems uncomfortable. With this sudden weather change we are all a little uncomfortable. I have seen her drink and have a snack. I'm not sure on her age. I would guess over 2. I really just want her to be ok. Any thoughts on what to try would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
for some reason, I have not been getting my email alerts when there is a new post, so this is the first time I have popped in for a week.

Welcome back Toni! :frow

HELP!! This is a picture of one of my RIR girl's belly. She's looked a little rough for a month or so. I thought she was molting and I see evidence of that. She has new feathers coming in around her neck. Her belly looks terrible and not at all like she's getting new feathers. I don't see mites. None of the other girls are balding. I cleaned out the coop to make sure there was nothing wet laying around. She has been sleeping on the ground and not going to roost at night. Her belly is now swollen feeling and under pressure. I don't feel an egg which was my first thought. She sits and acts like she is going to lay but I don't generally get eggs from her. She is waddling a little today and generally seems uncomfortable. With this sudden weather change we are all a little uncomfortable. I have seen her drink and have a snack. I'm not sure on her age. I would guess over 2. I really just want her to be ok. Any thoughts on what to try would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hmm....I really don't know, hopefully someone with more knowledge on this subject can pipe in......Is she broody? :idunno

henny1129

I've never had a broody girl. I don't have a rooster.
I'll add a little info here in case it makes a difference.... On the 16th I brought home four 8-10 week old chicks. I thought they were all girls. The four new kids were separated from my six established girls. As soon as the introduction was made one of the new "girls" crowed. He was around from the afternoon of the 16th till the morning of the 19th. The red I'm worried about is second in command. Her red sister is definitely head hen around here. So we've had the usual squawking and squabbling but nothing major. Again I thought she looked a little rough before the newbies moved in. Not bad enough that I thought bringing in anyone new would throw her into a tail spin. I wouldn't have done it otherwise. Do chickens get gassy? I would swear she's bloated and needs to pass a little gas. Poor girl. I hope it's that simple.

Last edited:
henny1129

I've never had a broody girl. I don't have a rooster.
I'll add a little info here in case it makes a difference.... On the 16th I brought home four 8-10 week old chicks. I thought they were all girls. The four new kids were separated from my six established girls. As soon as the introduction was made one of the new "girls" crowed. He was around from the afternoon of the 16th till the morning of the 19th. The red I'm worried about is second in command. Her red sister is definitely head hen around here. So we've had the usual squawking and squabbling but nothing major. Again I thought she looked a little rough before the newbies moved in. Not bad enough that I thought bringing in anyone new would throw her into a tail spin. I wouldn't have done it otherwise. Do chickens get gassy? I would swear she's bloated and needs to pass a little gas. Poor girl. I hope it's that simple.

I really don't know what it could be. I think chickens can fart......I wonder if separating her from the other chickens might help because they might be stressing her out and pecking her even more when they see the bare skin? I hope she gets better and I'm really sorry I couldn't be more help, I've just never had this happen before, so I don't know. :)

No one is pecking her. She's sorta been hanging out on her own and the other girls are letting her. I have noticed she's spending time with new kids. The other girls generally don't bother them. More like they don't notice their around. I've gently pressed her belly. Sorta front to back to move anything through and try to feel for anything but no luck. I'm worried at this point I'm going to go out and she'll have passed.

No one is pecking her. She's sorta been hanging out on her own and the other girls are letting her. I have noticed she's spending time with new kids. The other girls generally don't bother them. More like they don't notice their around. I've gently pressed her belly. Sorta front to back to move anything through and try to feel for anything but no luck. I'm worried at this point I'm going to go out and she'll have passed.

Weird. I have no clue what might be wrong.....:(

She ate about 1/2 a scrambled egg with a tums in it. Made sure she got all the bits of tums. Pooped... Normal with a little runny after. She's mostly hiding in the tall weeds. I made a hideout in the coop for her. She wants to be outside. When I had her in the coop to make sure ate as soon as she was done she went to the door. Seemed more upset away from the other girls so I let her out. I may try for one more tums to get her to 1000mg but I really don't think it an egg. :/

First thing I thought of when I saw the bare belly was also is she broody ?

Don't need a male around foe them to go broody;

My second question was does she roost on the ground ? Has she always roosted on the ground ? The reasoning behind this question is
A) if she is roosting up on a roost she is not broody.
B) if she has switched from a roost to ground might indicate that she might be broody, or her health might be deteriorating.
C) I have heard of mice clipping feathers off ground roosting birds to use for nest material.

Is she making clucking noises and ruffling up her feathers any when you or any of the other girls come around ?

Would anyone be interested in trading hatching eggs? I am looking for jersey Giants.. I have khaki Campbell duck hatching eggs and will have some LF Cochin and LF Buff Orpington hatching eggs by end of the summer

Back
Top Bottom