OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Got my birds AI tested today to maintain my flocks NPIP AI clean status that is required by some states to ship eggs, birds to, or show in Found out today that starting in 2017 the price for NPIP testing in Ohio is going to skyrocket. Staring next week it will be $75 to $100 depending on how many birds you have for the yearly test, and an additional $75 for the 6 month AI clean test; So what has been running me $35 a year will now be $175.

Between this and the fact that most meds and antibiotics will now require a script from a Vet., I may have to rethink this operations future. Not that I was ever that big of a medicine user on my birds, but a outbreak of something like coccidiousis can seriously impact next years replacement birds. Not being able to run down to TSC, Rural King, or PBS to pick up something that could well save a suddenly sick bunch of birds will not be good. I don't even know of any Vets that work with poultry around here.

Got my birds AI tested today to maintain my flocks NPIP AI clean status that is required by some states to ship eggs, birds to, or show in   Found out today that starting in 2017 the price for NPIP testing in Ohio is going to skyrocket. Staring next week it will be $75 to $100 depending on how many birds you have for the yearly test, and an additional $75 for the 6 month AI clean test;  So what has been running me $35 a year will now be $175. 

Between this and the fact that most meds and antibiotics will now require a script from a Vet., I may have to rethink this operations future. Not that I was ever that big of a medicine user on my birds, but a outbreak of something like coccidiousis can seriously impact next years replacement birds. Not being able to run down to TSC, Rural King, or PBS to pick up something that could well save a suddenly sick bunch of birds will not be good. I don't even know of any Vets that work with poultry around here. 

Wow, sorry to hear about the increase! I still haven't done it (although I'm across the river in WV) but you make good points to consider.

Got my birds AI tested today to maintain my flocks NPIP AI clean status that is required by some states to ship eggs, birds to, or show in   Found out today that starting in 2017 the price for NPIP testing in Ohio is going to skyrocket. Staring next week it will be $75 to $100 depending on how many birds you have for the yearly test, and an additional $75 for the 6 month AI clean test;  So what has been running me $35 a year will now be $175. 

Between this and the fact that most meds and antibiotics will now require a script from a Vet., I may have to rethink this operations future. Not that I was ever that big of a medicine user on my birds, but a outbreak of something like coccidiousis can seriously impact next years replacement birds. Not being able to run down to TSC, Rural King, or PBS to pick up something that could well save a suddenly sick bunch of birds will not be good. I don't even know of any Vets that work with poultry around here. 
cost me $80 this year but ai monitoring was free still

cost me $80 this year but ai monitoring was free still[/quote

Wow, sorry to hear about the increase! I still haven't done it (although I'm across the river in WV) but you make good points to consider.

We have a vet here in Marietta, Ohio who is a good livestock doctor. She has shown animals her whole life and two of the vet techs raise, breed and show chickens. She has seen one of my chickens.

Last edited:
Hi. Clearcreek Township close to Tarlton. Eggs around here are 2 - 3 dollars a dozen. I have 14 hens most of the eggs I give to family and friends. Ohio chicken laws are (state/county/township/local) incredible nonsense. This state is the definition of a "nanny state." A bunch of piece-meal laws meant to address every little issue and give pork to all the buddies making a great big mess out of everything for most citizens.

:frow Hi neighbor! We are very close to Tarlton as well!
Most Ohio egg laws are geared toward larger operations. If you have fewer than 500 hens annually you are not considered a "producer". The vast majority of back yard owners will be exempt from much of the red tape involving table egg sales if you are selling eggs on your premises and only have a few layers.
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/925.10v1

Thanks for sharing the info about the npip fee increases. I am due for renewal this spring and am surprised that they are doing away with the free voluntary A.I. testing because as I understand it, it helps the state monitor flock health in the event of another AI scare. We were never told when we opted for it about a 6 month interval for A.I. tests- just were told that if an outbreak in Ohio occurred that our flock could be randomly A.I. tested (which is fine with me). I guess I will have to budget in quite a bit more to get it done again this year though.

I dont know of any vets locally who see chickens either. Despite our best efforts and management, injuries and illness can happen. I'm hoping a positive that could come out of all this is that perhaps more farm vets will treat poultry because they know we can no longer treat certain issues ourselves.
Thankfully Corid will still be available to treat coccidiosis if your flock suffers an outbreak.

frow.gif

Thanks for sharing the info about the npip fee increases. I am due for renewal this spring and am surprised that they are doing away with the free voluntary A.I. testing because as I understand it, it helps the state monitor flock health in the event of another AI scare. We were never told when we opted for it about a 6 month interval for A.I. tests- just were told that if an outbreak in Ohio occurred that our flock could be randomly A.I. tested (which is fine with me). I guess I will have to budget in quite a bit more to get it done again this year though.

I dont know of any vets locally who see chickens either. Despite our best efforts and management, injuries and illness can happen. I'm hoping a positive that could come out of all this is that perhaps more farm vets will treat poultry because they know we can no longer treat certain issues ourselves.
Thankfully Corid will still be available to treat coccidiosis if your flock suffers an outbreak.

I don't know how they are itemizing the new cost increases as to what the AI test will be charged for the annual testing that Ohio requires to be AI monitored. Some states require you to be AI clean to ship eggs, or birds, or show in their state, which then calls for the 6 month AI swabbing that will now cost an additional $75 as I understand it.

My tester did say that they did have a list of Vets from around the state that will treat poultry.

I lost my whole flock at the start of fall and I'm thinking about starting over this spring using the Adopt Me bargain from Meyer. We'll be getting my in-laws' property around May so we'll certainly have the room for it. It could be pretty fun.

Back
Top Bottom