***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I now have close to 40 chicks in my house and my husband is about to kill me because of the smell. Anyone put their babies on pine chips at a few days old? I usually use paper towels but unexpectedly 16 chicks (that I hatched for a friend) are stayin for a little while and I'm not set up for all these babies ( as far as smell goes lol).

I have before yes. But shavings won't be any better smell-wise. They start to stink as soon as they get wet from the waterer.

Best smell-free brooder is one with a wire bottom so you can pull out a tray and dump the poo daily if needed.

I now have close to 40 chicks in my house and my husband is about to kill me because of the smell. Anyone put their babies on pine chips at a few days old? I usually use paper towels but unexpectedly 16 chicks (that I hatched for a friend) are stayin for a little while and I'm not set up for all these babies ( as far as smell goes lol).
Last year we did about 30 chicks (broilers and egg layers). I used pine shavings in 2 large 50 gallon rubbermaid tubs. They worked well. I did have to start cleaning the brooder twice a day. But soon after that it was warm enough the chicks could go out during the day and it wasn't too bad after that. The worst were the broilers. Those birds can eat and poop!!!!!

Another option. If you are close enough and you have a truck/trailer. Go to the Green Waste Recycling Center north of Tulsa. 1 Mile West of 169 on 56th Street north. Get a load of fine ground mulch. That is really the best and the cheapest. You can clean out the brooder and mulch your yard/garden with it.

ETA: The mulch is free and I have never had issues with it.

Last edited:
TRUES: You need 3" of pine chips to stop the odor with that many baby chicks. I put my 25 newly hatched chicks on it as soon as they arrived from the post office. There is nothing to compare with it when it comes to removing the chicken odor. I put it in their nest boxes, and roosting area too. After 6 weeks of age you will have to add another inch of chips. The chips pull the moisture out of the droppings very fast. THere are two kinds of pine chips. They both come in the same size bale, but one is more compressed and covers more square feet. If it is used in an outdoor pen, it draws moisture out of the ground and causes lots of dust.

I'm fairly new to this site and obviously addicted lol.

I've been away for a couple weeks and sooo much has gone on! First.. how about that crazy wind!?!? Oh my! Just to vent a little because no one else seems to really understand the depth of my anxiety over the situation...
he.gif

We have a 24 foot square building that has tin on the north side and the top, well lets just say the wind picked the whole thing up with about 12 very pricey peafowl inside and rolled it end over end 4 times right through our pasture fence, freeing every peabird, about 80 head of cows and their calves and 4 very tame horses that instantly turned into wild broncs, all while breaking a few peafowl legs. WOW.

What an evening last night trying to put that all back together. Still missing a few birds, got all the 4 legged back into the pasture and got the building set back where it goes, and guess I will be playing doctor for a while. Hopefully my Spalding Pied Peacock (in my avatar picture) will be hanging out by the pens when I get home bc I might just break down and cry if he doesn't show up. He was my favorite.
hit.gif

We have calves hitting the ground everyday, I'm missing 1 panel off my greenhouse and my garden looks like death lol. Spring fever has hit me hard!

I have about 35 chicks
jumpy.gif
stashed in rubbermaid totes in my living room AND I REALLY REALLY want to go to the auction tonight in Coweta! I have never been. Anyone else going to be there??

I know I don't need anymore on my plate...but I'm not sure I can resist.
droolin.gif

My incubator is empty right now after all
yesss.gif

I've been away for a couple weeks and sooo much has gone on! First.. how about that crazy wind!?!? Oh my! Just to vent a little because no one else seems to really understand the depth of my anxiety over the situation...
he.gif

We have a 24 foot square building that has tin on the north side and the top, well lets just say the wind picked the whole thing up with about 12 very pricey peafowl inside and rolled it end over end 4 times right through our pasture fence, freeing every peabird, about 80 head of cows and their calves and 4 very tame horses that instantly turned into wild broncs, all while breaking a few peafowl legs. WOW.

What an evening last night trying to put that all back together. Still missing a few birds, got all the 4 legged back into the pasture and got the building set back where it goes, and guess I will be playing doctor for a while. Hopefully my Spalding Pied Peacock (in my avatar picture) will be hanging out by the pens when I get home bc I might just break down and cry if he doesn't show up. He was my favorite.
hit.gif

We have calves hitting the ground everyday, I'm missing 1 panel off my greenhouse and my garden looks like death lol. Spring fever has hit me hard!

I have about 35 chicks
jumpy.gif
stashed in rubbermaid totes in my living room AND I REALLY REALLY want to go to the auction tonight in Coweta! I have never been. Anyone else going to be there??

droolin.gif

yesss.gif

Oh my, I'm so sorry about all the destruction. Will the pea fowl's legs heal?

There are several who will be going to that auction. I know Poco is she will be wearing a bright yellow t-shirt, I think Kyzmette will too.

Well, it doesn't look like I'm going to the auction tonight. Hubby and I just weren't prepared enough, It was a last minute decision in the first place. We weren't thinking how big our fat a------ducks were. They just won't fit comfortably in the cages we have. So we either need to go buy some or make some. I had wanted to go early to have them checked in and then visit with my daughter and see my little chicken crazy granddaughter.
smile.png
But to do that I need cages big enough to make sure they can have water and aren't all crammed into a chicken cage.
The Checotah auction is next Friday and it's a lot closer to us so by then we'll be prepared. I was just hoping to find a goose or two.. My daughter said she'd come to the one in Checotah if she can get off work in time. Pearl{my granddaughter) will have a blast, but she'll want every chicken there
droolin.gif
Hubby said he just priced some bigger cages at the feed store, so I guess we'll or he will be making them. He said they won't be fancy but they'll do. It won't be a routine thing taking muscovy ducks to an auction so he's not going to spend that kind of money when we still have more fence to put up. That's another story. Always something. I've had livestock of some sort all my life, so I should know by not it's not cheap.

Great pictures NanaKat... They are so precious. All of the ones I got from you, except the splash; are tame,but vicious little creatures. Everytime I stick my hand in there, they attack it hoping for food. They really like the mealworms, and then scrambled eggs. They like the pecans,but I make them so small it's hard for them to get them out of my hand. I guess I'll just have to take the little splash girl by her self and sit in the rocker and feed her treats. That usually does it, if they don't tame down any other way. Well. I'm getting windy again so I better quit
duc.gif
I might try to take some pictures. I didn't get a camera for my birthday, he got me a big mag light I wanted for outside. So he got me one for Valentine's day and I still haven't used it.
he.gif

he.gif

hit.gif

I have about 35 chicks
jumpy.gif

droolin.gif

yesss.gif
I am so sorry for all the destruction and your losses
hugs.gif
I must have been typing my thing when you posted yours. The wind did cause a lot, but we were lucky. It knocked down branches and trees and a few sheets off the barn, but otherwise everything else seems to be intack. Will the broken legs heal, or they all mashed up? I've put a splint on a goose and u can't tell anything was ever wrong. I think spring fever is hitting eveyone hard this year, but my what a lot a work everything is going to be. There is another aution in Checotah next Friday if you can't make the one in Coweta tonight. Sounds like you have your hands full. We need to get some kind of commitee going to go help those that need it. Hope your favorite boy shows up.

Well everyone, your advice is confirmed. I'm pretty sure that you were correct about the humidity on my last hatch. I had 14 eggs go into lockdown and tonight starts day 21. Got home from work and half of them were pipped. So its looking very good right now.

Back
Top Bottom