***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I bought a quad of Silkies last fall from a guy over in Goldsby, A Black Roo, Blk hen an 2 white hens which he said were laying. I have had these birds for about 6 months and not a single egg yet. Do I need to check for something wrong or just need to wait a little longer. I also put my Ginger Red hen that I got last week in with them. I have seen the Roo doing the happy dance with the girls yet. I an also looking for some Silkie chicks if anybody has any. These are for my wife, she loves these birds.

@muesky I got the 8 white ameracaunas that looked to be about 2-3 months old. I got the 3 with the bald backs separated to give them chance to grow their feathers back. Space and fermented feed and they will be good as new.

I bought a quad of Silkies last fall from a guy over in Goldsby, A Black Roo, Blk hen an 2 white hens which he said were laying. I have had these birds for about 6 months and not a single egg yet. Do I need to check for something wrong or just need to wait a little longer. I also put my Ginger Red hen that I got last week in with them. I have seen the Roo doing the happy dance with the girls yet. I an also looking for some Silkie chicks if anybody has any. These are for my wife, she loves these birds.

I have about 4 dozen silkie eggs in to hatch next Sunday if anyone wants chicks. They are just pet quality silkies from a lady in south Tulsa. She said they will hatch all colors. We also bought A BUNCH of silkie hatching eggs at the auction that are going in the bator today, blue, black, white, paint, and I think a few of other colors (partridge comes to mind), they will be hatching the weekend before Easter. I can post how they are looking after I candle on day 10. I don't put any hope in auction eggs until after the first candling... I'm in Coweta but can meet in south/east Tulsa or BA.

Here is the Red Silkie that I got last week at Newcastle.

Last edited:
I have about 4 dozen silkie eggs in to hatch next Sunday if anyone wants chicks. They are just pet quality silkies from a lady in south Tulsa. She said they will hatch all colors. We also bought A BUNCH of silkie hatching eggs at the auction that are going in the bator today, blue, black, white, paint, and I think a few of other colors (partridge comes to mind), they will be hatching the weekend before Easter. I can post how they are looking after I candle on day 10. I don't put any hope in auction eggs until after the first candling... I'm in Coweta but can meet in south/east Tulsa or BA.

I would be interested in some for sure. Next sunday or the a week from Wednsday will be the earliest I can come up that way. let me know how much.

my guess is they are older, you could try bumping up the protein, would love to see pics-

I got home from the Coweta auction about 6am. I got 6 welsh harlequin hatching eggs, 5 color crossed English orp chicks, 6 wheaten ameracauna bantams, 1 mottled hen that I swear was labeled as a SFH, 2 English orp pullets (splash and blue), and 8 white ameracaunas that need some tlc.

I got home from the Coweta auction about 6am. I got 6 welsh harlequin hatching eggs, 5 color crossed English orp chicks, 6 wheaten ameracauna bantams, 1 mottled hen that I swear was labeled as a SFH, 2 English orp pullets (splash and blue), and 8 white ameracaunas that need some tlc.
Wow, sounds like you made a haul friday night...
smile.png

Mj and muesky... how did coweta compare to Newcastle , how far to drive?
2 hours, not bad from our area.
It is in a facility much like Newcastle.
The prices were quite high but they had some breeds that are hard to find.
It was a huge crowd and a lot if eggs, chicks and then birds.
They are trying to have it on a Saturday next month and start at 3:00.

Mj and muesky... how did coweta compare to Newcastle , how far to drive?
It was huge this time but talking to a guy that sells there regularly it isn't always so big. The fact that they started at 6 pm made for a late night.. Of course with having it on a Friday, there are not many other options, that is why I am glad they are having it on Saturday next time or I would not be able to go at all.
They seem to move things along okay and everyone there seems to be very nice. It is a two hour drive which is mainly highway until you get into Coweta. Don't ask for directions from anyone who lives there if you get lost. We asked a cop and a convenience store clerk and they gave really cruddy directions, but we found it so all was good!

I would think they would be laying by now.. How old were they when you got them?

@muesky I got the 8 white ameracaunas that looked to be about 2-3 months old. I got the 3 with the bald backs separated to give them chance to grow their feathers back. Space and fermented feed and they will be good as new.

I wanted to get some of the ameraucanas but we just could not stay till they came up. Definite sign of malnourishment the way they were eating each others feathers off. If you decide you want to part with any of them I sure would love a trio or a couple of pair..

Back
Top Bottom