***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Just now getting home with two extra chickens. The Faveroles went to someone else. Oh well. Things went for little of nothing. Silkies went for dirt cheap! We took a cockerel (4 mo old) and he went for a few bucks. It was just crazy! Dusty, I didn't see you wave but I saw you! I was going to say hello but everyone left before I got around to do so. It was good to see you though!

I need a good docile foraging breed of chicken. Recommendations? My silkies run from anything that moves and my cochins would rather spend the day doing nothing. :barnie My husband thinks I should feed them less pellets, but with the heat I don't think its a good idea. What do you guys think? My chickens have reign over our compost piles and I almost never see them going thro it. 

@bardies
 the porcelain (we named Birdie-but thats somehow turned into Berdita ) has spent the last week backed up to the fan in the coop. She literally stands there, butt to the fan, and tries to keep all the other chickens from it. :lau Oh man she's got us cracking up. Thats one sizable butt too. 

Looks like Ill be at the Newcastle auction tomorrow! :)  But I probably won't be able to stay long. In laws are coming to Norman for Jazz in June. 
ameraucanas from a good, reputable breeder that has well tempered birds.
Swing on over to the "Silkie Thread," we're having a discussion about just this thing.
we're

I need a good docile foraging breed of chicken. Recommendations? My silkies run from anything that moves and my cochins would rather spend the day doing nothing.
barnie.gif
My husband thinks I should feed them less pellets, but with the heat I don't think its a good idea. What do you guys think? My chickens have reign over our compost piles and I almost never see them going thro it.

@bardies the porcelain (we named Birdie-but thats somehow turned into Berdita ) has spent the last week backed up to the fan in the coop. She literally stands there, butt to the fan, and tries to keep all the other chickens from it.
lau.gif
Oh man she's got us cracking up. Thats one sizable butt too.

Looks like Ill be at the Newcastle auction tomorrow!
smile.png
But I probably won't be able to stay long. In laws are coming to Norman for Jazz in June.

NN take the heat like champs, and are good at foraging. Besides, just like bow ties, fezzes and Stetsons are "cool"

I was at the Coweta auction but didn't see the above posts until this morning.

I had the little Yorkie that had on a little blue dress. Most of the time I was standing by the air conditioning unit at the door between the auction room and the concession stand.

I will be at the auction again next month. Maybe I can meet some of you then.

Greg

Okay, I guess I'm rushing the process, but it's getting SO hot and I want them to be able to access the run during the heat of the day. I am giving them fresh water in the morning and evening and have a fan on them with the windows/screen open on the door - which is on the inside of the run. The run is 100% predator proof .... It would take a bear to get in my run and we don't have them here! The sheet metal is 12" in the ground with welded wire all around and I use a bull snap to secure the door - coons cannot open it. We could possibly come up with something to temporarily section it, hadn't thought of that, so thanks :) How much longer should I wait to integrate the two flocks??
I LOVE THIS! That would be incredibly easy to make a seperator. Lowe's has plastic hardware cloth-it's pretty firm, it's in the back ground of this picture. That would be so so easy to put up to seperate. And in another month when you put them together they'd already be used to each other from gossiping through the separator. Here's the plastic HW cloth i'm talking about. Click on it to enlarge it. You could double it over on itself also. It's $25 for a 4' x 25' roll.
ameraucanas from a good, reputable breeder that has well tempered birds. Swing on over to the "Silkie Thread," we're having a discussion about just this thing. we're
My Ameraucanas are 200% awesome! Even Easter Eggers are good strong healthy birds. I can "make" my own Easter Eggers since i've got so many Ameraucanas and 4 Araucanas :) Hybrid vigor is not a myth. @countryfarmlife Welcome! I have a 1 yr old blue Chihuahua who would tie for 1st place as Most Spoiled Dog with your Yorkie :lol:

I was at the Coweta auction but didn't see the above posts until this morning.

I had the little Yorkie that had on a little blue dress. Most of the time I was standing by the air conditioning unit at the door between the auction room and the concession stand.

I will be at the auction again next month. Maybe I can meet some of you then.

Greg

I saw you! I almost told you that you had a cute dog as you walked in front of us. Coral, Dusti and I were in the very front. I bought some lumber and zucchini, but then left early.

For foraging champs, I like the Australorp and Wyandotte. Mine are all over the place...out in pastures, in the compost piles, out under the farm equipment , the front and backyards....they would love to get in the garden, but only the chicks who squeeze thru the chain link get that pleasure.
I also have a few Minorca and Red sex-link that do the same. The Cochins go south of their pen and will hunt under the stock trailers.

I LOVE THIS! That would be incredibly easy to make a seperator. Lowe's has plastic hardware cloth-it's pretty firm, it's in the back ground of this picture. That would be so so easy to put up to seperate. And in another month when you put them together they'd already be used to each other from gossiping through the separator.
Here's the plastic HW cloth i'm talking about. Click on it to enlarge it. You could double it over on itself also. It's $25 for a 4' x 25' roll.

My Ameraucanas are 200% awesome! Even Easter Eggers are good strong healthy birds. I can "make" my own Easter Eggers since i've got so many Ameraucanas and 4 Araucanas :) Hybrid vigor is not a myth.

@countryfarmlife Welcome! I have a 1 yr old blue Chihuahua who would tie for 1st place as Most Spoiled Dog with your Yorkie
lol.png
love.gif
OH man! Any chicks?
I just asked for babies from a capon huh...?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom