***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Robin - Molly poses like a professional model. She's adorable. The kittens we got from you last year are all grown up. Agatha and Therese are doing well around our new grandson. When they have had enough love and attention, they retire to their new cat tree. John spoils them. If anyone's interested in a slightly-used cat tree, their first one is for sale (deeeeply discounted). Send me a PM.

I made the mistake of adding a handful of sweet feed to the bowl for the barn chickens (mostly capons) Christmas morning. Today, they stood around the dish, shoulder to shoulder, and dared each other to ask me where the good stuff was. Stripes didn't eat at all, and he followed me out to the piggy yard. He checked both feed buckets, found only pig pellets, and stomped off to find a perch by the barn where he could give me "the eye." He was still waiting when I returned with feed for the ducks, so I gave him a handful of cracked corn. I should have made a video of his happy dance. Robin - He's a sweet, sweet boy. He's one of our best bug eaters.

The rain's getting heavier. I hardly recognize the sunshine in the photo; the highlights look like happy sprites compared to the dreary shadows that occupy the yard now. Time to put the kiddos down for a nap. Maybe the rain will help them sleep. I could use a nap too.

Sure hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. Praying for safety for everyone this week.

Cold weather moving across the state. Have already drawn up water in the barn and house in case the power goes out...living in the country means no water pressure. Just rain for now...but over 2 inches so far. Ice and snow coming... means topping off all the feeders inside the outdoor coops. I've already moved all the water containers close to the gates to top off with hot water each day
Got out the hand warmers for the brooders, surgical gloves to wear over my gloves to keep them dry, thermal pants at the ready too.
Stocked up at the store with light bulbs for all the brooders and barn lights...seems like in cold weather a bulb always goes out.

And for the family... our favorite cold weather food...a crock pot full of thick soup!

Gracie is already chilling by the back door.... and one Christmas photo of the little boys opening packages. they had already visited the brooder in the back room...the last little hatch is still inside under a table lamp until after the storms.

I finished up the soaps before Christmas and the kiddos got to select what they wanted to take home....looks like the Vanilla and Bitter Almond with a kiss of Honey was a favorite....only two bars of that one left. Then the Rosemary Peppermint with ground rosemary. We have just over 300 bars left...I guess we will be giving a lot of soap for gifts this year and will be super clean.
gig.gif

We made 450 bars in 25 varieties...so just posting a few pictures.

Last edited:
Homemade soap is awesome!!!!
It's turned here. Everything is freezing. We had 3-4 inches of rain that has now froze. The sleet is hammering us. 40-60mph winds.
Fed the girls some extra lettuce n bread this morning. I stapled extra feed bags to the frame of the tractor last night. They are doing good. I've got the heated waterer and feed tube inside the coop for them.

Typically we free-range our birds. Today the weather is concerning me. Should I let the chickens out of the coop today?

Mine are in a tractor. After eating they went back in the coop. They ain't trying to get hit in the face with sleet or blown down. They didn't even wanna stay in the covered area.

Homemade soap is awesome!!!!
It's turned here. Everything is freezing. We had 3-4 inches of rain that has now froze. The sleet is hammering us. 40-60mph winds.
Fed the girls some extra lettuce n bread this morning. I stapled extra feed bags to the frame of the tractor last night. They are doing good. I've got the heated waterer and feed tube inside the coop for them.

Where are you located? Friends in Mustang have already lost power. Last check on the rain gauge ( a tin can with a weight) is 3.5 inches of rain. Just started hearing a little sleet when I was checking the pens. We had some really strong winds earlier and I was checking tarps.

Typically we free-range our birds. Today the weather is concerning me. Should I let the chickens out of the coop today?
a few of my birds ventured out of their coops inside the pens, but only for a stretch and a drink of water. By now, my pens are like Robin's...pretty flooded. The birds are staying in out of the wind and rain. I did not open the pens for them to free range today...won't until the rain and snow stops....maybe Monday afternoon. To many critters will grab a quick nutritious meal in weather like this. A break in the rain and out comes the big hawk across the road.

Where are you located? Friends in Mustang have already lost power. Last check on the rain gauge ( a tin can with a weight) is 3.5 inches of rain. Just started hearing a little sleet when I was checking the pens. We had some really strong winds earlier and I was checking tarps.

I'm between mustang and Yukon. We lost power for a moment but have managed so far to stay on. Branches are getting heavy with ice again. Sleet is continuing. The girls came out but stayed under the coop in the plastic covered area.

My nakeds didn't venture out at all, I don't think they even peeked out. The NN flock all spent the entire day outside, but under the coop. The broody mom took her chicks out a tiny bit but under the shelter Gary had placed for them. The nakeds will go outside in the really cold weather w/ sun, but they really don't like the combo of cold AND wet.

Back
Top Bottom