***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Chicks are hatching under a broody hen this morning.

Yesterday had the vet out to help with a Herford cross cow that was down in the field and couldn't get up. She isn't due for a month. Vet gave her an IV of calcium and left us with a gel paste to give her today. We made a temporary pen around her to keep the other cows from bullying her...like chickens, there is a pecking order in a herd. We gave her some Bermuda hay and stationed 5 gallon buckets of water near the fences. Could not get her to drink last evening from the low tub so will check her again this morning. Hopefully the cow will be up today.
If she isn't up by Wednesday, then the vet will come back with steroid shots which are used as a last resort. Should get her up, but that will also force her into labor. Means I will have a premie bottle baby until her milk come down.

Lucy and Goosey are back and have been frequenting their feeder. A few more pair of Canadian geese are staying around the outer pond and pastures. Last night while I was locking up the birds, Lucy and Goosey flew in to the crawdad pond and walked over to their feeder. They saw me outside and they both started walking up the drive toward the barn...loudly voicing their discontent that their feeder was empty. I wasn't going to put feed out because of the rain, but I like to keep this old pair happy. This Weill be the 17th year they have returned to nest here. I can get about 4 feet from them before Goosey begins to shake his head and hiss at me. We enjoy them.

I get to babysit the two little grandsons tonight in Edmond.
how are the patients?

Can anyone tell me the forum name for swapping/selling in Oklahoma? I can find the auction listing site, but not for individual chickens. I have two EE 9-10 week old roos to be rid of. I thought I had a home, but they said they cannot take them now. They are hand raised as pets and my daughters would be horrified if I had to cull them. :0 (

Can anyone tell me the forum name for swapping/selling in Oklahoma? I can find the auction listing site, but not for individual chickens. I have two EE 9-10 week old roos to be rid of. I thought I had a home, but they said they cannot take them now. They are hand raised as pets and my daughters would be horrified if I had to cull them. :0 (
https://www.facebook.com/groups/OklahomaBackYardChickens/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/centralokfarmswap/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1598111093794058/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/356070667775106/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1443764805928011/

Here are a few links. Some of the groups are closed, so you'd have to apply. Others are open to everyone.

I myself have been gone awhile. Had to get rid of all my birds due to all that rain last spring flooded my pens and the dirt spoiled. I am now looking for more Cochins

The cow was up standing in her pen this morning so the boys took a trailer to the pasture and carted her to the lot by the barn where we could keep a good eye on her improving condition. It appears she is showing signs of calving ....without the steroid shots. She called last year on March 16.

Chickiedoos are doing great. The broody decided to move to another nest of eggs when her chicks hatched. Mandy heard them cheeping and moved in to claim the babies. Her lone chick had died fours days ago so she was still in mother mode. She and the babies are settled in a broody pen and Mandy is cooing...sounds like a cat purring.

The grand sons were in rare form. They were excited to tell me about going to a friends cattle ranch and helping to "pulled testicles" and help clean up a newborn calf. Not bad for a 5 and 7 year old.

Okla...I've sent you a pm

Okracefan. I have eggs if you don't find birds.

Am incubating for the first time this year, after none last year. I knew a good number of the eggs were probably not good, as they were out in the pens for several days with very low temps, I wasn't sure of the fertility of the roos in that cold weather and I'd held some of them a bit too long. They are now two weeks along. I removed the ones last week that were obviously not developing, and checked again today.

One was clear and another was very dark and I couldn't find an air pocked. I removed that one to candle it more clearly, but dropped it! Of course it had a live baby in it. I checked it closely, and decided it was probably something of a blessing I dropped it. It was two weeks along, but clearly had a badly crossed beak, and it appeared its brain was completely out of its skull. I've not checked all of the unhatched chicks, but used to, and have never seen anything like this.

Still have 18 developing silkie and naked neck siklie (showgirl) chicks. Am gathering eggs for a second batch, although I'm trying hard to reduce my flock. I've reduced it from 60 - 120 (including chicks) to 30. That is before any hatches.

I have incubated 10 or so Silkie eggs so far but all were early quitters. My little pullet has been sitting on any eggs that the other girls lay. I think she is starting them and then when I take them from her I kill them as they wait to go into the incubator. I will try and give her her own nest box with some Olive Egger eggs and see if she will leave the other girl's eggs alone.

Hope all our Okies are safe in these fires.

I haven't been online since before the fires. Still catching up. Was in the process of moving those days. My new neighbor and old friend was fighting a fire between Nowata and Vinita and got hit by a car. Multiple breaks in 1 leg. While driving late that night to come check on his stock had to stop to help control 2 hay bales on fire by someone's house to keep it from spreading. That was a rough day for all fire fighters. But good news my Cornish hen just hatched 7 outta 9 eggs.

Hope all our Okies are safe in these fires.

​I haven't been online since before the fires. Still catching up. Was in the process of moving those days. My new neighbor and old friend was fighting a fire between Nowata and Vinita and got hit by a car. Multiple breaks in 1 leg. While driving late that night to come check on his stock had to stop to help control 2 hay bales on fire by someone's house to keep it from spreading. That was a rough day for all fire fighters. But good news my Cornish hen just hatched 7 outta 9 eggs.

Sure hope your friend is going to heal quickly. Glad to hear you are safe. Congrats on the hatch.

Just set 104 eggs yesterday evening....March is going to be busy!

Back
Top Bottom