***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Hey Robin! The little Blue Cochin bantam I got from you had gone missing without a trace a few wks ago and I was just sick as I've lost some of my favorites recently to (what appears to be) the neighbors cat. Well the little Cochin girl was strutting around the layers yard today with 10 little tiny babies proud as can be
tongue.png
She was so bound and determined to sit on eggs and we kept taking her eggs every day. So evidently she managed to get up under their coop buidling. It's 10x14, I never could find her every time I looked. I figured that blasted cat had got her. There's a spangled game rooster and 2 Silkie boys in that yard so the babies are adorable! So her and her babies will get their own yard now :)
Wow, that would really have to make your day! What exciting news!

Just popping on to say howdy for the day. Nothing big happening. All of my stupid melons that didn't produce a thing over the summer are now loaded with melons swelling and growing ... of course now it's too cold for them to ripen properly. Jeez, can't win for losing. Hopefully it will warm up a little bit at least. I've been freezing all day. Ha! who would of thought I'd say that 6 weeks ago ... Hubby and I are working for the weekend helping a man clean out his garage. Not really what I want to do or need to do but income is important I guess. We have new meat birds coming in on Thursday next week and still have to get the brooder set up. Think we may get some black austrolorps thrown in with our order if we can since we've lost some of our layers over the summer. We've never had any before but are intrigued by their size so thought we'd check them out. What we really want are some authentic Dominiques but they don't have any available right now. I guess there's always next spring.
droolin.gif
Good thing there's not an Atwoods near here.

Hey, someone posted about an online site for buying eyeglasses not too long ago and I looked at it at the time for reference but I can't remember what the site was and now my daughter broke her frames. Anyone know what it was? Thanks.
Authentic Dominiques, did you say? :D

Thanks, everyone! These 10 little surprise babies are precious. I think part of the reason I think they're so perfect is because I thought the little Cochin hen was gone for good and it's such a relief to know she's ok. I've got 5 BBR Phoenix eggs in the incubator due to hatch in a week plus 6 still only a month old. I'm chicked out for real this time. It'll be nice letting the little Cochin girl raise this batch, she's inside now but we'll get her a pen and coop fixed up. My husband thinks it's too cold for them to be outside-but they'll be ok with their mama, right?
Next week some go in for caponizing, I hope it goes ok. The guy on the phone said the anesthesia is more of a risk than the surgery itself.
Jack-are you MJ's neighbor with the Ameraucana? If so, I've got a couple of your birds and they're amazing!

Last edited:
Welcome Jack!!! Jump in & join us. Glad you finally are taking the plunge!!!
Mitzi think how long ago you could of had those chicks if you were not being so mean taking her poor eggs!!!! Hopefully these new chicks will prevent any accidentally chick purchases on your next feed trip.
Cathie you are brave taking all those kids to the fair in the cold rain, especially since I remember you have one that doesn't like rain & mud puddles. Hope y'all had a good time!
We planned on going to the fair for "school" Tuesday, but I think I am backing out. I spent 8 hours out of the house Wednesday for apts & errands & I have been in bed most of yesterday & today.
My chickens are so excited about this weather. They are free ranging out furthers than I have ever seen them.
We didn't end up going today. It was just to cold. Shanda doesn't regulate her body temp. very well so I didn't risk it. Plus my cell phone is goofing up and I was scared to go to far with all the kids and no cell phone. Esp since hubby is in Missouri until Sunday.

Mitzi, how awesome!!!! Nathanael had 12 eggs in the incubator but only 2 moved to the hatcher. So hopefully they both hatch this week. He was so disapointed but I told him with this heat we have had we are lucky any were fertile. Can't wait until you post some pictures.

Jack, WELCOME!!!! Bout time you joined us, lol.

Thanks, everyone! These 10 little surprise babies are precious. I think part of the reason I think they're so perfect is because I thought the little Cochin hen was gone for good and it's such a relief to know she's ok. I've got 5 BBR Phoenix eggs in the incubator due to hatch in a week plus 6 still only a month old. I'm chicked out for real this time. It'll be nice letting the little Cochin girl raise this batch, she's inside now but we'll get her a pen and coop fixed up. My husband thinks it's too cold for them to be outside-but they'll be ok with their mama, right?
Next week some go in for caponizing, I hope it goes ok. The guy on the phone said the anesthesia is more of a risk than the surgery itself.
Jack-are you MJ's neighbor with the Ameraucana? If so, I've got a couple of your birds and they're amazing!
They should be just fine. My Dominique hatched out chicks at the end of March last year. I have a friend in New Hampshire that's had Icelandics hatch out chicks with snow still on their ground. Broody hens are a heat lamp with legs.

Mitzi, a good momma hen will keep those babies nice and warm. Had a silkie hen get caught in a storm once. Every baby was nice & dry she was a cold wet rat. I blow dried her out & then gave the babies back. She was mad, but I was scared about her being wet & cold with the babies.

Told kids I wasn't sure we would make it to the fair so Alexis made funnel cakes for dinner-- yep we are eating healthy tonight! I had marinaded shrimp, but honest forgot all about it, oh well.

Grrr, well only got 3 eggs from 16 laying hens today. Those girls better start laying soon none are even a year old yet so should be laying plenty of eggs. I may add some vitamins to their water tomorrow and see if that helps but I am getting frustrated that feed is going up and they are laying less eggs. We haven't changed anything. I don't see any signs of a snake but I am sure it is a possiblity with our run lately. I checked for eggs 4 times today just to try to make sure nothing was getting them.

Then tonight hubby text he broke the screen on his blackberry torch and with insurance still will cost over $200 to get it fixed. Then my POS HTC quit charging. Now gotta find 2 used ATT phones because we have decided not to renew our contract with att when the current one is up. We can only get text messages at home, no phone calls unless you are sitting on the end of our bed @@. So tomorrow morning I get to go find 2 phones.

Back
Top Bottom