Old and Rare Breeds

Faverolles are a great utility bird and an old french breed. I am the vice president of the Faverolles Fanciers if anyone is interested in getting stock please contact me.

Henry
last year i lost my rooster and all my s.f. hens currently i have self blue English gamefowl hatching eggs that my arucana hen is laying on that i bought I'm not sure if they will hatch or not. I do miss my s.f. hens.

I guess people just stopped talking, lost interest. Sometimes it is hard to find rare breeds and it can be frustrating. I don't know. I am interested in rare breeds and their history but personally wasn't very successful with the rare breed of my choice. I didn't have the resources to large scale breed, struggled to find good birds, and thus now have more common breeds. What breeds are you interested in?

I guess people just stopped talking, lost interest. Sometimes it is hard to find rare breeds and it can be frustrating. I don't know. I am interested in rare breeds and their history but personally wasn't very successful with the rare breed of my choice. I didn't have the resources to large scale breed, struggled to find good birds, and thus now have more common breeds. What breeds are you interested in?
perfectly put.

I very much wanted Nankins, super historical, great personalities, blah, blah...

turns out that when they were bred in England they must have been kept in kitchen cupboards or something. NOT cold hardy. :rolleyes:

So I didn't get them since I didn't want house chickens.

Just to repost the categories he made.

Quote:

Chris,

In the Dec 2009 Backyard Poultry I first called for a more accurate way to classify poultry other than heritage or heirloom. I believe, and still do, in both accuracy and in utilizing recognized historical time periods. I wrote:

Ancient Fowl (existing before 1600)
Modern Fowl (1600-1845)
Industrial Fowl (1845-1940)

(I used the date 1845 because that was the date of the first poultry show. This happened, as you are aware, during the Industrial Age).
Examples of the breeds classified would be:

Ancient Fowl breeds:
Asil
Old English
Dorking

Modern Fowl breeds:
Crevecoeur
Dominique
LaFleche
Sussex

Industrial Fowl:
Brahma
Cornish
Orpington
Rhode Island Reds

I did not classify breeds created after 1940.

I love our Nankin but I could see how she would not do well that far north. We call ours Pocket Chick because she is small enough to put in your pocket. My kids carry her around with her legs dangling beneath their fingers like you would carry a wine glass. She is funny as all get out and think she is the biggest thing. She bosses around the 10 lb blind rooster in the pen with her.

I would love to have more of her but dang it she can fly like nobodies business which means she doesn't stay in the pen very well. She would be a snack for my dog, so in the covered pen she stays.

Back
Top Bottom