Old and Rare Breeds

Just to prevent spread of misinformation, the Langshan is not "based" on the Breda, likely unrelated. The Langshan is not based on anything and is not a composite breed.

Well as I said it was only on source and mostly based I think on a similar appearance in feather legs and stance than any history. The Breda were in Europe long before the Langshans were imported by Croad to England.

I'm not too sure.....For certain I'll be hatching Mille Fleur, Porcelain, and some Whites. Maybe a few of the other project colors: Golden Neck, Blue Mille Fleur, Silver Mille Fleur, Black tailed Reds, and Black tailed Whites. I should also have about 50 Scottish Blackface lambs this Spring and I'm planting about 3,000 Dahlias. I'll try and raise up about 150 Pyncheons this year.....more if I get the time and make more space. Think Spring guys!!!! Rusty

Will you be selling any eggs or birds? The Pycheon's I mean? I know Ideal has them but yours are by all accounts head and shoulders above their best.

Actually ordered some Quacha eggs a year ago, and they arrived well, but all turned bloodringed, and I was told again by the seller that they are notoriasly hard to ship....eggs that is.
One big issue I have is by definition, "Crele" is not what I have.
What I have is a BBR with barring.......and that by definition is not what the SOP calls "Crele"'
Crele:

This being a shot of Crele~~~
and as the SOP says description wise~
My bird is way off of what is considered "Crele" in the SOP.
THat said, what I need to do is specify what I have is "Super Crele"..........much more beautiful than regular 2 toned crele.
What I have is a BBR crossed with a barred bird~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~and it has been done for years before myself, in wyandottes and polish and shamos, and and and~~~
BUT, what we are doing when we introduce a barring gene to a black-breasted-red fowl, is going to have to be retitled as
Super Crele
As it is NOT "crele" as stated in the SOP.
As you can see below (and above) My bird is far more beautiful...and very much different than what the SOP calls "Crele"
In the past, I was "used" to anyone adding a barred gene to any color fowl and that in itself was "Crele". not true.
So, from now on I will not refer to my fowl as "Crele", but rename it as "Super Crele".........and as good soilders, we march on~

Incorrect comb, and a juvenile here, but stunning all the same, a new coloration...we shall not call "Crele".
This is "Buster"....below is Buster's sire, "Phoenix"...........from a pure bred old line of Partridrige Chantecler.

Neither falls under the SOP definiton of "CRele"................as do many others who are working on "Crele" Polish of wyandottes or whatever...............a crele is a fully FULLY bnarred bird, wings & all, and of 2 coclors, gold and black......period.
So yes indeed, what we have here is SUPER CRELE...................and we must "bother" the SOP yet again about it~~~

The Jake Lail crele OEGB shown is a washed out poor example of the crele color, so it is not much use as an example of crele. It is the picture quality......Jake has great colored birds. The color on your birds in not crele as you stated. How are you going to "bother" the SOP?

Walt

I too have wanted some of Rusty's birds, but I already keep too many as it is; so, I've never bought any from him: maybe one day.

The Jake Lail crele OEGB shown is a washed out poor example of the crele color, so it is not much use as an example of crele. It is the picture quality......Jake has great colored birds. The color on your birds in not crele as you stated. How are you going to "bother" the SOP?

Walt
What I meant by "bothering" is what must seem like so many new colorations & breeds every year that they must be overwhelming.
I still need to come up with a name for what I DO have, as stated it is not by SOP definition, "Crele"
There is many many breeders with this coloration nowadays, from Shamos to Polish.
It is a stunning coloration, but cannot be called Crele.
One day, someone will have to submit this color variety to the SOP, how that is gone about, I do not know.
And in the last few years I have been both extremely busy building a house and dealing with intermitten bouts of my lovely disease...so I've had pratically no time to surf the web, talk to or deal with any contact with other "Super Crele" breeders, or the APA....if anyone knows anything further concerning this color variety, and/or if has been submitted to the APA for consideration, I'd love a PM !
Thanks everyone~

I too have wanted some of Rusty's birds, but I already keep too many as it is; so, I've never bought any from him: maybe one day.
Saladin, knowing that you always grow a huge garden with lots of winter squash to feed your birds through the winter, I wanted to ask if you grow "Sweet Meats" winter squash ?
It is a hit here, as the Pacific Shore is wet, cool and more dark, yet the sweet meat survives and thrives.
I expect it would do well there also.
On a 12-15' vine( you can have 4-5 vines per plant) we get 2-4 squash.
Some cull off small to let the strength flow into 1 squash, and others allow all to grow, which can produce 5-6 per plant at about 12-15 pounds each.
If culled off the small, you can get a 25-45 pound single squash.
These have superior sugar, so much so that if I chop up Butternut, and several others as well as pumpkins, the chickens attack the sweet meats and eat them to a papery shell of skin before they will touch any other variety.
I have much seed & will ship any to anyone who wants some...send me a e-mail~
Also we eat this squash non stop, even mashed at Christmas.

What I meant by "bothering" is what must seem like so many new colorations & breeds every year that they must be overwhelming.
I still need to come up with a name for what I DO have, as stated it is not by SOP definition, "Crele"
There is many many breeders with this coloration nowadays, from Shamos to Polish.
It is a stunning coloration, but cannot be called Crele.
One day, someone will have to submit this color variety to the SOP, how that is gone about, I do not know.
And in the last few years I have been both extremely busy building a house and dealing with intermitten bouts of my lovely disease...so I've had pratically no time to surf the web, talk to or deal with any contact with other "Super Crele" breeders, or the APA....if anyone knows anything further concerning this color variety, and/or if has been submitted to the APA for consideration, I'd love a PM !
Thanks everyone~
the Super crele is not known to the APA. No proposal or inquiry has been received by the APA.

Walt Leonard Chairman of the APA Standard Committee.

Last edited:
chickie,
I've tried lots of different varieties. I haven't tried that one. Through the years I have settled on several different varieties that seem to do well in our high heat, high humidity area. I also try for drought resistance as I don't like to water anything in the garden except the tomatoes. Everything else gets the 'root, dig, or die' method of gardening/seed saving.

The ones I have found that do the best are those from Australia and the Middle East.

Just to add more spice to the pot:
The 3 eggs hatched from the original "Crele" sport Chantecler, and pure Chantecler partridge hens, 3 eggs were hatched and of them, these are the birds:

Buster

Buster's sister, Bertha, yes she has a saddle on~ and...................

and this is Buster's full brother~
So, there was 3 eggs hatched from a mating of Phoenix, and full partridge hens (ordered from some other place just for this hatch) and of 3 eggs hatched, this is the birds.
Freaky huh ????
If you look up "Partridge" or "Crele" in the SOP, you will be unable to classify these 2 colors, either the "crele" sport that apparently has happened a few times, nor the "partridge " which is SUPER VIBRANT...........these birds make the SOP description of crele or partridge look like taupe.
Have you bred him back to a a crele hen? Do you get the same look breeding out?
The only reason I ask is in Crele Penedesenca if you breed a crele penedesenca rooster to a partridge penedesenca hen you get crele hens but single barred roosters ( single barred roosters from this cross look like very colorful crele roosters )

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom